1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Guitar Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cowgard, Apr 16, 2010.

1. cowgard

cowgard

Apr 16, 2010
    I'm a drummer and have been learning some guitar for fun. I decided to learn some bass also so I just bought a Squier Vintage Modified Jazz bass. I was going to spend a couple of hundred bucks for a bass combo amp to use for practice and God forbid I ever get enough nerve to jam with the rock band I have been playing drums with for the last 8 years.
    Within my budget I wouldn't get more than about 15 watts into an 8" or 10" speaker. Not really enough to rock with my grunge /metal band even in the rehearsal studio.
    I have a 100 watt solid state guitar amp head and an empty, closed back speaker cab. I have searched for info on the evils of playing bass thru a guitar amp but only come up with stuff relating to speakers.
    I guess I've turned this short question into book but here it is. If I put a decent quality 15" bass speaker into my cab and run it with Epi Triggerman amp head, would that make a decent poor guy bass rig? Thanks, David

2. waleross

waleross

Nov 27, 2009
    South Florida
    I can't answer what you are asking. Why not try to find a cheap practice bass amp. People are selling stuff all the time. Put your ceiling at say $75, somebody will bite sooner or later....:cool:

3. cowgard

cowgard

Apr 16, 2010
    I guess since no one else knows, I'll find out for myself. Can't imagine it wouldn't work pretty well on the clean channel with some EQ fiddling. I ordered an Eminence bass speaker so I'll find out this week. David

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    The problem with just "putting in" a bass speaker into an empty cab is, you have no idea if it'll even work. Cabs and speakers are matched up using audio science, and not just "any" speaker will work in any box. I'd skip that idea, and find a cheap bass cab. It's fine to use the guitar head, just get a proper bass cab, and you're set.

5. ark amps

ark amps

Jul 27, 2009
    Windsor Ontario
    designer/builder for Ark Amps
    It won't sound stellar I expect, but I have done crazy things when my cash was low too;>)

6. cowgard

cowgard

Apr 16, 2010
    The cab is an old Peavey bass cab for a 15" speaker. Would that not be suitable for some reason? Thanks, David

7. find out which model cab,maybe post a pic or three.....the more information you can supply will help......

8. eaaa410

eaaa410

Jun 20, 2008
    New Mexico
    I would place an ad on Craigslist, offer to trade your head and cab for a decent bass rig. Someone should bite within the first day. I have had excellent luck with this. If you get no offers in a day or two, then plan B goes into effect.

9. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois

The short answer is - this should work.

But how well it works depends on which speaker you have. Eminence makes good stuff but some of their speakers are picky about the size of cabinet they're put in and some may not be suitable for a closed cabinet. They may sound horribly boomy or even lack bass response - not what you want in a bass cabinet.

There are a lot of very knowlegable guys in this forum including some professional cab builders. Let us know which speaker you bought and you'll have a lot better advice on getting the most out of it.

10. You have to gather detailed specs on the cab and potentioal 15" speaker purchases and plug them into a speaker modelling/cab building program. This will help you choose the proper driver and port configuration. This is the only course of action which can be legally recommended.

In the bad old days, when everyone sounded horrible, ignorant fools would sometimes slap any old bass speaker into any old bass cabinet, as long as it fit in the mounting holes, and jam away. The lucky ones were sucked into the transdimentional rift that appeared when they hit their first note; heedless toying with the laws of physics has its price.

It most likely violates at least 3 zoning laws to try to use a solid state guitar amp for bass, even in a pinch. It's bound to sound terrible, even if you, your band, and anyone who hears you play all think it sounds awesome. I read it on the internet.

11. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon slow downer. https://tinyurl.com/y5dcuqjg
    +1

12. cowgard

cowgard

Apr 16, 2010
    Thanks Necrotic. I totally forgot to check the zoning laws. LOL David

13. cowgard

cowgard

Apr 16, 2010
    Thanks for the input. You guys have convinced me I would be better off buying an amp that is designed and built for bass. I'm still going to put the speaker I ordered into my cab. What the heck it is a Fender/Eminence OEM replacement bass speaker that cost less than 50 bucks so I'm not risking much.
    I'm looking now at the Acoustic B100. On paper it seems like a lot of bang for the buck. Anybody know about this amp? David