1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Guitar amplifier tube head for bass?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jsa0100, Jun 30, 2012.

1. Joebarnes

Joebarnes

Oct 4, 2011
    Surrey, BC
    I use a Marshall JCM 2000 DSL Head as my main bass head and a Fender Dual Showman as my backup. I wrote Marshall years ago to make sure there was no issue, the letter I have directly from them states to use a bass cabinet to avoid blowing speakers, but there are no issues with using a tube guitar head for bass. I also have had no problems running either amp at gig volume, and have never had to pin the knobs.

2. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    On the subject of using a guitar head as a bass amp, it's possible to do that as long as you hook it up to a bass cab. it's better to use a bass cab with a guitar head because guitar cabs won't handle bass guitars very well. but using bass cabs would be much better Idea. not only does it handle better lows, but it sounds pretty cool too. I once used my brother's once owned hartke gt100 guitar head through an ampeg svt 4x10 and it sounded really awesome. considering that the hartke guitar head is a hybrid guitar head, I was able to get a warm and slightly overdriven sound. it sounded pretty cool. anywho, I would advise using whatever guitar head you have with a bass cab. you just might get some amazing results.

3. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    Search for the thread about the Bugera 1960 , sounds great on bass! It's a plexi clone, got mine for $340 shipped (B stock).

4. SneakyJak

SneakyJak

Aug 31, 2011
    fairly sure Stanley Clarke uses a fender guitar amp with a high pass filter for his higher freq range

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    He has, though the last recent pics I saw of his rig I didn't see it. Not sure if he HPF's it or just turns the bass down, though.

6. depalm

depalm

Apr 22, 2004
    São Paulo
    A had a great bass tone from a 50 watt Marshall amp on a 4x12 cabinet.
    I miss that amp!

7. SneakyJak

SneakyJak

Aug 31, 2011

found where I saw the Stanely Clarke thing about the 2:30min mark

8. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen Commercial User

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    How much power you need is determined by the sensitivity of the cabinet and your SPL requirement, which makes all the claims of not being enough power without specifying either meaningless.

9. Clammy

Clammy

Nov 3, 2008
    Ottawa, Canada
    Endorsing Artist: Neal Moser Guitars, DR Strings
    For the first few years after I made the switch to bass, I used my Marshall JCM 900 100W Dual Reverb head into a pair of Marshall 4x12 guitar cabs as my bass amp. I played it a minimum of 3 times/week at rehearsal/gigging volume (which were the same), and never had any issues. I did use a lot of distortion (think Lemmy + ), and the amp didn't put out a lot of super low frequencies, though.

Cheers!
    :bassist::bassist::bassist:

10. jsa0100

jsa0100

Apr 6, 2005
    Norway
    I just wanted to give a short feedback. I have played the amp through a EBS ClassicLine 112. And the sound was fantastic. As we got louder after a while (we always do :) ) i had the push the amp harder, and it got softer and warmer (with out distortion) and it sounded 60's vintage, great sound.

I was struggling a little to get up to the level with the guitar and bass, however the EBS isn't very sensitive (only 93dbw). With a larger sensitive speaker i should be OK. In the worst i might need 2x15" if i should play outdoors.

11. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    circa 1969. Marshall Superlead 100 on two Kustom 2x15 bottoms. Oh so nice. The Kustom head was bland compared to it.