1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Guitar body, bass neck...possible?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by LotusCarsLtd52, Apr 16, 2010.

1. LotusCarsLtd52

LotusCarsLtd52

Dec 6, 2009
    I still haven't found any instrument unique enough for my tastes. So after looking at the thread on converting a Strat to a bass, is it possible to take a Telecaster body and put-on a 30" scale neck, either off of a Mustang/Bronco/Musicmaster or to have a luthier make a custom neck?

I know the neck pocket would definitely need to be routed more but are there any other restrictions?

The biggest concern for me is if the proportions of all the parts would be correct.

2. Meyatch

Meyatch Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    stratobass.

I barely had to trim the neck pocket at all to get this bronco neck to fit. Fender basses and guitars use the same neck plate, so the necks are close to the same size.

Everything went together fairly well, you should expect a little bit of difficulty in shimming the neck pocket and stuff. One thing I ran into that surprised me was I had to order a musicmaster bridge because a stock fender bridge is too wide for the bronco neck.

3. LotusCarsLtd52

LotusCarsLtd52

Dec 6, 2009
    That looks nice and the proportions are great! The thing that sorta bothers me about some short scales is that the proportions don't look right at all but that definitely looks like a long scale.

I could also see standard bridges being too wide...did you try looking for Musicmaster and Bronco bridges? Or maybe other aftermarket short scale bridges?

4. Hey Lotus...
    Do a search tele basses and for postings from the following members:
    ThaLowEndTheory
    Rhomco

.....and there is also Tim Armstrong (can't remember his screen-name though...)

All have built tele basses using guitar bodies and short scale necks (bronco and rondo), and all look incredible.

Here is one thread...

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=612664&highlight=tele

I am sure there are several others here that have done it and other threads about it. Hopefully others will chime in :)
    Hope this helps.

5. GassieBall

GassieBall

Oct 15, 2006
    I know you've seen these, right? Strat body. Of course, the bridge has to be moved back to fit the scale like Meyatch did and thus there will be a retangular notch in the pickguard where the normal strat bridge would go.

Cropped%20MAIN%20FULL%20JPG.

6. That's hot!!!!

7. Yes it is. Google Landing basses and you'll see more.

8. Gord_oh

Gord_oh Midtown Guitars Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    sounds like bass pr0n to me.

9. LotusCarsLtd52

LotusCarsLtd52

Dec 6, 2009
    What does everyone think of the proportions of a Telecaster body and Mustang/Bronco neck? I'm still unsure if the proportions are right or not.

10. Bofee

Bofee

Aug 19, 2005
    Grass Valley, CA
    I'm in the process of putting together a Strat bass with a short scale SX neck. I've ended up resizing the headstock half way between a P bass and a Strat for a more balanced look.

11. Works for me:

telebass20_01.

telebass20_02.

12. LotusCarsLtd52

LotusCarsLtd52

Dec 6, 2009
    Any soundclips? I'd love to give it a listen!

13. LotusCarsLtd52

LotusCarsLtd52

Dec 6, 2009
    Any soundclips? I'd love to give it a listen!

14. Jones_Stuff

Jones_Stuff

Nov 26, 2009
    Leicester, UK
    It works pretty good, man.

On mine, I had to route the pocket a little but the depth was just fine how it was. That's a 34" scale P neck on there too, balances just fine if you put the strap button behind the neck.

SD 1/4 pounder single coil under the hood too!

LGIM0031.

LGIM0032.

Feel free to ask questions :) Heh, sorry bout the contrast on the cellphone pics ;)

15. Dominic DeCosa

Dominic DeCosa Habitual Line-Stepper Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 9, 2008
    Vero Beach, Florida
    DiCosimo Audio
    I've made one using an SX Tele body and an SX short-scale bass neck. It's still a work-in-progress, but it plays and feels great.

attachment.

16. That's beautiful!!!!!

17. Jones_Stuff

Jones_Stuff

Nov 26, 2009
    Leicester, UK
    Thanks, just to say that Domdec314 was my real inspiration for building this, so a big thanks goes out to him and his telecaster body bass just above!

My poor photos don't really do the colour justice, hmm, I should probably invest in a camera...

18. Dominic DeCosa

Dominic DeCosa Habitual Line-Stepper Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 9, 2008
    Vero Beach, Florida
    DiCosimo Audio
    Thanks a lot for the props! I gotta say, though, I'm feeling a bit inspired by your bass too. I was wondering how it would look with covers, and it looks awesome on your bass. I'm also really digging the thumb rest.

19. countbassiedad

countbassiedad

Apr 29, 2010
    No affiliations

Beautiful. Subscribed.