1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Guitar Care

Discussion in 'Ask Janek Gwizdala' started by jackajesusfreak, Mar 26, 2009.

1. jackajesusfreak

jackajesusfreak

Mar 5, 2009
    In your opinion, what would you recommend as far as the care of the finishes on the bass guitar? I'm talking base, neck, and fretboard. I've read where some say do nothing because most oils and polishes etc, are unnecessary and that just keeping it clean is all that is needed. What do you think? Thanks
    Jack

2. tom e smith

tom e smith

Jan 27, 2008
    It depends on many things. Do you have a maple or rosewood fretboard? Is the body sealed?

3. janekbass

janekbass

Jan 28, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Founder and CEO of http://janeksbassstudio.com
    honestly I know nothing about wood. I do nothing to my bass, and it's totally fine.

I take it to the factory once in a while and vinnie and joey give it the once over and some TLC, but nothing in particular when I'm home or on the road.

I would suggest having a great gig bag, never checking it on a flight anywhere, and never letting a girlfriend, boyfriend, husband, or wife get mad at you when the bass is nearby..... could get thrown and really messed up.

Easy,

Janek

4. Sorax

Sorax

Sep 9, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    :p Imagine having a bass thrown at you!!! Sound advice :D

5. jackajesusfreak

jackajesusfreak

Mar 5, 2009
    the body is solid mahogany and the fretboard is rosewood.

6. tom e smith

tom e smith

Jan 27, 2008
    The main thing to do is use a fretboard conditioner every 6 months or so. And if you sweat a lot while you play wipe it down with a dry cloth (microfiber cloths work great) to keep it from getting nasty. You can use a polish on the body to replace the oils in the natural wood whenever it floats your boat. Don't worry about the neck, just wipe it down with the cloth.

7. jackajesusfreak

jackajesusfreak

Mar 5, 2009

thanks tom, good advice