1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Guitar Center and Musical Tastes

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by ddnidd1, Mar 21, 2018.

1. geowis

geowis Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2011
    Hopewell, NJ
  2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Hmmmmmm...... I say things like this here and get blasted. Maybe now that George Gruhn has said it it'll stick. ;)

"Baby boomers are the best customers I’ve ever had. They’ve driven a lot of the guitar trends, but they are aging and many of them are downsizing their guitar collections,”

3. Part of the big problem is this: Anybody younger than Gen-X seems to have no interest in culture that came before their time.

While I will listen to music that is older than I am, there are people in their early 20s who wouldn’t know Stevie Ray Vaughn from Stevie Wonder.

As a result, all that matters is what is getting made NOW.

Add in a bunch of different trends such as the increased use of samples and virtual instruments, the “loudness war”, the Balkanization of musical tastes/genres, and the diminished relevance of the album...no wonder people aren’t dreaming of playing guitar.