1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Guitar center wiped out!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by rockscott, Jan 12, 2021.

1. rockscott

rockscott

Aug 28, 2010
    massachusetts
    I was in gc, braintree ma. yesterday to buy a tascam recorder. The place looks like it was looted. I was lucky they had the recorder in stock. There were 5 basses new stock, nothing in the used gear department at all! Be advised, if you buy a tascam recorder they dont come with a sim card.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
  2. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    there aren't many used basses I like being sold currently for some reason so sumpm's goin on

3. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    Right Now most Guitar centers only have 20 or so basses where normally they have 70+. From what I was told they can't even order new stock when they sell something. Don't know if this is the Predicted end of GC or not but it does not look good.

4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I didn't now Tascam recorders were also phones :roflmao:

I think you meant SD cards.

5. rockscott

rockscott

Aug 28, 2010
    massachusetts
    People always said gc was too big to fail. Yesterday i was the only shopper in the store, there were 4 people working there, very little stock. No amps,effects,used gear,etc. Perhaps the end is near for them.

DJ Bebop and sonojono like this.
  6. mrcbass

mrcbass

Jan 14, 2016
    Sacramento, CA
    I went to my GC last week to take a peak at a few basses and their selection was lacking. I never even pulled one off the wall. They usually at least have options on most configurations/price points, but they did not have one single 5 string Jazz (or clone) that was under $1500. They typically have about 50 basses - only about 20 on this visit.

Maybe they aren't taking on used gear right now?

DJ Bebop and nuage420b like this.
  7. You do know they have filed for bankruptcy protection.

Low inventory would be inevitable.

rtav, Basslice, Bunk McNulty and 12 others like this.
  8. ahadl2500

ahadl2500 Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2003
    Greenwood, IN
    They filed Chapter 11 Bankruptcy in November. There is a good chance that their ability to buy used/reorder stock is being limited. Likely a blend of...

1. Limited ordering capacity due to limitations in place while they go through bankruptcy. While I am not an expert on bankruptcy, I could see it limiting their ability to make purchases.

2. Inability to place order from suppliers on credit. Again not an expert, but even if they are allowed to still order on credit (and I am not sure if they are or not), I doubt any supplier is going to let them do it.

Basslice, DJ Bebop, dkelley and 5 others like this.
  9. BassJuju

BassJuju Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2016
    Kentucky
    While they certainly had more stock pre-bankruptcy, they never had more than 1 or 2 in store that even remotely interested me. I’ve needed to order most everything from them for years. Even strings.

The guys were cool... I liked talking to them.

10. The Petro

The Petro

Dec 29, 2020
    CT
    I was last in GC in orange CT 2 weeks ago. They had a variety of basses ( about 10) but lots of empty spaces. I was thinking due to the holidays.
    The GC in Danbury had maybe a dozen if I recollect correctly, but they were all different manufacturers compared to the Orange location. But they did seem well stocked in everything.

11. ironworm

ironworm Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2013
    Blaine, WA
    Same with my local GC. I think what ahadl2500 said above regarding their limitations due to bankruptcy are spot on. I talked to the manager of my local GC and he says he's not worried about GC closing their doors. He could've just been selling me though!

12. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I used to go to the local GC about once every other week (sometimes more frequently) just to see if they had anything I couldn't live without but since the pandemic started I haven't been there once.

DukeCC likes this.
  13. rockscott

rockscott

Aug 28, 2010
    massachusetts
    They have been through chapter 11 in the past and the stores were not wiped out like this! Perhaps xmass and covid combined wiped them out. Time will tell.

14. I went in there a few weeks ago to get some cables that my local shop didn't have and it looked like they were in the middle of doing inventory, and there wasn't much there.

15. bwildt

bwildt

Mar 21, 2017
    Wichita, Kansas
    Mid December, I had a next-day need for a computer audio interface, so I stopped by GC. They didn't have any interfaces in stock! There was a Focusrite 2i2 sitting on a shelf behind the counter. I said, "What about this?" The guy said it was a return that the guy didn't need and wasn't sure if it was listed in the inventory. He checked, it was available, so I took it. One the way out I cruised through the store and there were a lot of empty shelves and empty wall hangers.

mikewalker likes this.
  16. TheReceder

TheReceder

Jul 12, 2010
    Mn.
    Went to a GC in the Phoenix area just after Christmas. They were wiped out. 7 Basses on the wall. The excuse, they got hit hard over the holidays. Went back 5 days later... the same. Checked out Sam Ash, they looked pretty rough, but not as bad. Still, less than 10 basses and a lot of wall space.

I'm thinking it's not just GC having a hard time.

17. ardgedee

ardgedee

May 13, 2018
    The GCs in my area have gotten really sparse. But to a lesser degree so has the Sam Ash; about half the usual number of basses on the wall, and aside from a couple Fender Rumbles and Hartkes all the amps were used. Sam Ash doesn't have a credit line problem like GC has, so vendors should be happy to ship to them as usual. I think it's just the times.

18. coyote1

coyote1

Mar 23, 2012
    Part of the problem may be in their used instrument handling. I made money off them over time.
    On one bass I bought from them for $475 a few years back, last year they gave me $550 in credit toward another instrument. A used guitar I bought from them for $1700 regularly sells, in the condition mine is in (near pristine), over $2500. A used bass I bought from them last year for $900 regularly sells, in its excellent condition, for well over $1500.

Cash flow without profit is not a winning formula.

19. LKTraz

LKTraz

Dec 11, 2016
    Hegins, PA
    I think it may be a combination of: Holidays, covid, inventory reduction for asset value adjustment related to chapter 11 and credit limitations until bankruptcy is settled. So pretty much all of the above are factors.

20. MD-BassPlayer

MD-BassPlayer Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Probably a combination of things - chapter 11, COVID limited production, Christmas, not wanting to carry as much inventory over into the next calendar year, etc. They did close a local GC that was in a small mall and not a very good location from the beginning. They had blowout sales on inventory rather than moving it to one of the local stores. That last part had me thinking that the end is nigh, but it could just be how they handle store closings.

TonyP- and EatS1stBassist like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 25, 2021