Guitar pickup simulator for effects that need passive signals

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by gastric, Oct 11, 2011.

1. gastric

gastric Professional product tester for hire

Jun 8, 2009
    Raleigh, NC
    I've owned a few pedals that work best with passive signals - no buffer or preamp in front. Unfortunately you often want those effects downstream of some other effects and they either don't work correctly or don't sound right.

In my search for how to modify an effect to work better with an active/buffer signal I found this webpage: Guitar Pickups Simulation

It describes a seemingly small, passive (non-powered) circuit you could build into a small enclosure, or even install within an existing pedal enclosure, to provide the effect an emulated pickup load. Theoretically you could string whatever you want in front and use this circuit to provide your Ultra Fuzz, Mammoth, Fuzz Face, Oxfuzz Germanium, etc. etc. a passive pickup load so it sounds it's best.

Has anyone had any experience with this type of thing?

Is there an existing off-the-shelf pedal based on this idea that you can already purchase?

2. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    There was a guy in the UK who produced a few of these for people (his username is 'Toasted' on here) but I don't know if he's still producing them.

It might be easier to just make one yourself, if you've got a drill and a soldering iron?

3. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Yeah, that's the Jack Orman circuit and has been implemented in a few different pedals.

The one that comes to mind for me is in all the fuzzes from Music Electronix/Zeibek effects. I had a Messdrive+ and while there were some differences using passive and active basses it wasn't nearly as big a difference as most fuzzes.

4. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    The Radial Dragster is a similar item, available "off the shelf". I have one, but ATM I don't have any impedance-sensitive fuzzes to try it with.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 26, 2021