Guitar player switching, and you know what? . . .

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Crg2, May 31, 2012.

1. Crg2

Crg2

Feb 9, 2012
    I'm glad that I had previously played the guitar. It gave me the basic songwriting tools, and it's fun.

Just because I'm getting ready to take serious Jazz lessons, I'm not going to quit playing guitar. I love playing Rock guitar, and am proud of my "street" chops.

No, I don't play Bass with a pick, and I'm in love with the instrument, but that idea that I'm "just a guitar player" isn't an issue to me.

Why do dedicated bass players frown upon guitar players who, after years of guitar playing, realize that they actually have the feel of a bass player, and adjust accordingly? We just made a mistake about our aptitudes at the beginning.

This is all rhetorical. Bass playing makes me happy. I just don't want to feel discouraged by the idea that I'm not a "real" bassist while getting ready for the physical and psychological challenges of a serious teacher.

Peace, and play on!!

2. Black Bart

Black Bart

Sep 11, 2010
    That's all that need be said. Play on man, play on!

3. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Nov 26, 2010
    I play both. Started out on guitar then switched to bass. Much better at bass, but as you say, guitar is still a lot of fun for playing rock!

And I play a lot of jazz bass as well!

4. Epidrake

Epidrake

May 24, 2011
    I play both and I enjoy playing both. I don't think it makes me less of a bass player or less of a guitar player. I play keyboard and drums too. It's all good.

5. I'm primarily a bassist, but I have dabbled in guitar and keys. This has helped be better understand chords and structure.
    As for the "hate" for guitarists that turn to bass, I think it's a case of the player thinking a bass is just a four stringed guitar, and they play it thusly. :rollno:
    IMHO, it's a whole different instrument, with it's own job to do. When I play around with a guitar, I don't play it like a bass. Keys have that ability, but I'm not that good at it. My left hand is just playing chords, while my right plays the melody. (At least I think that's what it's doing. :D )

JMO,YMMV, etc.

6. Picktastic

Picktastic

Feb 29, 2012
    Most people I know that play bass and guitar or bass and drums or drums and keys or keys and the triangle all consider themselves multi-instrumentalists. Except for the drummer. Drummers!!:spit: ya know?

7. chatterbox272

chatterbox272

Apr 12, 2012
    Bass players frown upon guitarists because the overwhelming majority of them believe bass is easy as it's just a guitar with 4 strings that doesn't even play chords. And unfortunately this is what we see so that is what we learn, that guitarists are obnoxious morons. The occasional one who actually treats bass like a bass and not a guitar, and understands there are many important differences as well as similarities we generally have no problem with, but one good one isn't stopping the hate on the rest.

8. Vinz Clortho

Vinz Clortho Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2009
    I'm one of the rare guitarists that treats the bass like a bass. At this point I actually enjoy playing bass live more than guitar since you can just lean back on the groove and not worry about everyone noticing if you mess up just once. In the originals band I play bass in I end up playing really busy lines most of the time, but it works out pretty well because our vocalist/guitarist is strictly rhythm, so it balances out.

Also it became very apparent to me how bad my rhythm was as soon as I started trying to play bass :D

9. geckoman1220

geckoman1220

Jan 23, 2012
    I too played guitar then switched, I still play both and enjoy guitar too for the song writing skills. I also wouldn't sell or trade my rick 12 string for nothing. Now I was a rhythm guitarist so I think that's why I like bass. I was never a look at me solo solo guitarist lol. But I feel I can really get creative with bass in my band. No other bassist I have to harmonize with like with guitars, I just do what I want and lock into the drums. I also like bass cause I can control how the song goes in a way.

10. HereIGoAgain

HereIGoAgain

Oct 16, 2011
    I started on guitar and took up bass. I never really abandoned guitar. The people I play with sometimes forget that I can still play the guitar though. :(

To me, the jokes are just jokes. Those who really have prejudice against guitar or bass or both perhaps need to rethink their own musical purposes.

11. I’m a switcher. I call myself a bass player now. I was “playing a bit of bass” for a while, pretending I was still a guitarist. I think I officially became a bassist when I gave my Strat to my little brother. It used to be my pride & joy.

I’m probably still a little bit bi. If I was really a bassist I would’ve sold the strat and bought a P-Bass.

I never play my bass guitar like a (tenor?) guitar. Just like I don’t play keys like a bass (except with my left hand).

12. HereIGoAgain

HereIGoAgain

Oct 16, 2011
    Oh, if the keyboard player does a left-hand walk, let him. Just slide up to your upper register and play the melody. :D :D :D

13. Mousekillaz

Mousekillaz

Nov 25, 2009
    Anacortes Wa.
    I'm a bass player. Having developed a decent feel for the whole neck certainly has helped me, when I pick up a guitar,venturing about with solos/leads. And in the reverse, understanding chord structures more thoroughly, from playing guitar, lends well to expanding my note selection on the bass. I believe by playing both adds to my expressive ability while playing either.

14. mooreon131

mooreon131

Mar 16, 2010
    Baltimore, MD
    I was a bass player from the get go. I joined a band before I knew how to play, so I was pretty much a root rider. About a year it, I learned to play guitar (albeit badly), and not only did it better allow me to write songs, it made my bass playing exponentially better, since t taught me the relationship between bass and guitar, and how they can play off of each other within a band setting. It instantaneously made me a better player, and took me from "bass player" to musician. I believe any bassist should at least know the rudiments of guitar first hand, because until then, it's just all theory, and as great as a knowledge of theory is, without seeing its practical application in action, it's just a bunch of words.

15. Corevalay

Corevalay Supporting Member

Sep 10, 2009
    New Jersey
    No offense but it sounds like you're the one who is feels insecure about it!

16. Yup I started on guitar as well, had some basic lessons. Then Switched to bass in high school, I took music theory as my art requirement and that was a piano only class. Playing. Three instruments has helped me as a bassist. I think it is good to play other instruments because it gives different perspective on music depending on which set of eyes you look at it from..

17. I play both, one in each band. Playing both helps me, mentally, be better at both. Playing guitar has really helped my left hand technique in bass, while playing bass has really helped my rhythmically with guitar.

18. Rual1

Rual1

Aug 19, 2011
    I too play both. Playing bass has helped my guitar playing in terms of timing and phrasing and playing guitar has helped me to be more inventive on the bass. Even though I'm still primarily a guitarist, I prefer to play bass in cover bands. There's nothing like sharing inside musical jokes and ideas onstage with a good drummer while driving the entire band and being aware of every single note/chord/etc that's being played by everyone onstage.

19. All's good unless you're one of those guitar players that thinks he can play bass. Then you get blech.

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021