Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Guitar recording mic. not bass.

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by odie, Apr 2, 2004.

1. odie

odie Supporting Member

If I were to buy a mic for live with our pa. Have you heard of a good mic that I can use for recording too?
    Is a 57 ok for just recording guitar or is there a good hybrid that I can use for both?

2. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    The SM57 is the standard for guitar in both studio and live. They sound just fine. You may also check out the Beta 57. Audix D1 or D2 are both pretty well suited. I would not hesitate to out an AKG C535 on a guitar cab, maybey not a huge stack, but a combo no prob.

3. SM 57 works well for most guitar amps.

I would also suggest a Neumann U87, a Sennheiser 421.

Odies, how much are you looking to spend?

[​IMG]
    Treena

4. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    I picked up a Studio Projects B1 for $60 bucks when they first came out and we have been using it on our guitar setup live and the little studio stuff we do to get ideas down. You'll need phantom power but it's a tough little mic and it sounds great.

The standard $90 SM57 will work also.

5. odie

odie Supporting Member

Treena.

Want to keep it under $200. But it has to be much better than a 57 or else it wont be worth it in my opnion. We also play heavy rock, (Tool) some funk/punk like RHCP.

It is a Line 6 modeling amp.

6. odie

odie Supporting Member

By the way. What is the difference between a beta 57 and a regular 57?

7. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    AFAIK the difference between the beta and sm series is that the Beta's have a neodimium magnet (spelling?) Which means that they maintain there polor pattern at higher gains as well has have greater off-axis rejection. None of that really matters for micing a geetar amp. However there is a distinct tonal difference between the sm57 and Beta57. To my ears the Beta is less shrill, or should I say not as bright and the lows are a bit nicer. Try both is you can.

8. hibeam

hibeam

Oct 16, 2002
    USA

While mic shopping, the salesman at Guitar Center informed me that SM57s are made in Mexico, and are NOT grounded, whereas the Beta series is. Maybe he was just trying to get me to spend more money, but I doubt he'd outright lie.

9. That's complete BS. Shure uses an XLR plug which is a balanced 3 pin point connection.

XLR connectors are used in custom "pro" audio hookups to connect microphones to PA amplifiers, mixers or extension cords. These hookups are balanced, which helps cut out noise and hum pickup. A balanced line consists of three paths of current flow, using a cable consisting of a pair of twisted wires with a shield covering them. The twisted pair would carry the actual audio signal while the overall shield acts as a noise absorbing barrier. The shield is typically connected to ground.

These connectors are based on the 3-pin circular connectors invented by ITT Cannon. "XLR" is their series prefix. It is now used as a generic description.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

XLR Pin Function Cable
    Pin #1 Ground Shielding or drain wire
    Pin #2 High (+) Twisted pair conductor #1
    Pin #3 Low (-) Twisted pair conductor #2

[​IMG]
    Treena

10. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    According to popular opinion, the 58 has a pop filter, the 57 doesn't. I can't verify this though.

11. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    I can't believe somebody actually told you this, especially coming from someone who should know what they are talking about.

Everybody do me a favor don't ever ask another question at Banjo Center again. They are abviously clerks who feed off the ignorant. If you have a question post it at the TB forum.

Wow so much anger :D

12. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles

13. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K. Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    senheiser also makes a great guitar mic(the 609) for about 90 bucks...
    nice mic, as good as a 57, but without the 2k presence peak.
    remember that where you put the mic has as much effect on the sound as the mic itself.
    cheers
    d
    p.s. avoid guitar center (if you can)
    they are the worst.