1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Guitar Scale Acoustic Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SBassman, Aug 18, 2018.

1. kohanmike

kohanmike Gold Supporting Member

This is why I like this forum so much, lots of good info and leads.

HaphAsSard likes this.
  2. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

Dec 1, 2013
    Italia
    Another potential base for mods (one I should have thought of the first time around) is parlor resonators. They tend to be longer than you want (at or approaching 38") but body width is there.
    British-based Ashbory Guitars, the house brand of folk instrument online outlet Hobgoblin Music, makes one:
    Ashbury AR-52 Parlour Resonator with Pick-up at Hobgoblin Music USA
    Ashbury AR-52 Resonator Guitar 2018 Resonator
    as does Republic Guitars. Their parlor and Highway 61 (especially the Traveler) models seem promising:
    Parlor
    Highway 61
    Miniolian
    Another US maker that has come up in a search, Royall Guitars:
    Royall Parlorizer Porch Size Nickel Plated Brass Body Resonator - Royall Guitars
    For less coin, Chinese brand Aiersi Music (according to a random comment found somewhere, they formerly supplied instruments for Republic) is worth checking out:
    Parlour – Sinomusic
    Others Resonator Guitar - Nantong Sinomusic Enterprise Limited - page 1.
    as are the usual Chinese suspects - here's an example ("Jonathan" brand):
    Jonathan 16 series resonator guitar, resophonic guitars, Metal Body Duolian guiatrs - AliExpress

More options would come up by searching "resonator"/"resophonic" + "parlor"/"parlour"/"travel". Some of the above examples, but also vintage ones by National, appear to have been sold on Reverb.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
    kohanmike likes this.
  3. kohanmike

kohanmike Gold Supporting Member

Thanks for all the suggestions, 37"+ are just a hair too big to fit my custom gig bag, and slotted headstock would be problematic fitting bass tuners. The only one that might work is the Jonathan 17. I'll search as well.

HaphAsSard likes this.
  4. tymbrewolf

tymbrewolf

Nov 10, 2003
    I had a 1960s dopyera dobro, couldn't hardly give it away. Mosrite bought their leftovers when they went out of business.

5. tymbrewolf

tymbrewolf

Nov 10, 2003
    HaphAsSard likes this.
  6. tymbrewolf

tymbrewolf

Nov 10, 2003
    I'm going to find a new use for my gold tone micro bass. For years, I have played a tenor and baritone uke tuned G GB D. And I intend to get some strings and try out G1G2B2D3 tuning and play baritone sort of arrangement an octave lower. So what occurs to me is that this might be useful on these Acoustic guitar basses as a tenor guitar type instrument playing in a baritone sort of way.

7. tymbrewolf

tymbrewolf

Nov 10, 2003
    As to above post, so much for that experiment. I did find that i did like the sound g2 to d3. Big bass tuners of gt were even fine. But the set up would need a big change on this instrument as to nut and reducing height of bridge. But as this was originally setup for thunderguts, it would be different than ibby or other similar light bass string set up. Interesting experiment just the same.

8. Damn that's gorgeous.

MakoMan likes this.
  9. Horrified

Horrified

Jan 6, 2020
    Vancouver, BC
    Just enjoying this bass so much. Unplugged or amplified - it feels and sounds so good. I'm starting to get used to the feel of these unusual strings (Stock D'Addarios). I'm going to try putting a piece of foam under the strings to mitigate the scritch of finger movements. That sound has been cropping up in my loops a bit more than I like.
    Overall, though, this was one of my better purchases.
    20200119_131847.jpg

Hues likes this.
  10. These little guys are really addictive, and if you set up a PNB for decent string balance (or luck into one that's good right out of the box), they're a ridiculously good value as well.

There's something about the combination of the small format and the amplified tone you can get with the nylon/bronze strings and a light touch, that has completely killed any GAS I used to have for other acoustic basses.

Glad to hear that you're enjoying yours.

Horrified likes this.
  11. I really want to try one of those PNBs! I love my Taylor Mini but it would be fun to have a less expensive option to travel with.

Horrified likes this.
  12. skycruiser

skycruiser

Jan 15, 2019
    Texas
    My little PNB collected a little dust over the last few months as I got into playing my first electric bass in over 20 years. But I'm getting back into it now. Working on transcribing a Beethoven piece into bass and guitar, and the little acoustic just feels right for this. I would love to have better access to the upper frets (and unfortunately I need to hit a note a couple of frets past the last fret on the G string), but I'm going to make it work. I'm finding I can get a really good tone playing it with a finger-picking type approach normally used for acoustic 6 string. Get a nice bass tone playing the lower 2 strings lightly with the thumb and can get a variety of tones by plucking the upper strings with fingers. Also sometime pluck the lower strings with the finger/thumb as if holding a pick but with no pick. All a nice change from the finger-style I mostly used before.

MakoMan and Horrified like this.
  13. Horrified

Horrified

Jan 6, 2020
    Vancouver, BC
    That's a creative approach - getting into the acoustic guitar mode. I think I'll experiment with that tonight.

14. The cool thing, is that all these techniques transfer nicely to regular electric bass.

I actually came into alternate picking methods through the back door, learning them on guitar rather than bass. I played a bit of classical guitar when I was in my early teens (my dad split his guitar time about 50/50 between that and playing jazz on his arch tops, so there was always one around, and free lessons as needed).

You can get a much broader range of tones if you combine conventional bass fingerstyle with your thumb, as well as fingerpicking, clawhammer-style.

That's probably how I survived nearly 30 years of playing single-pickup basses with no onboard tone control, and almost no pedals.

MakoMan likes this.
  15. I'm self-taught on the bass. Have never used a pick. I use my thumb and two fingers. It's just what seemed the most natural for me.

16. Horrified

Horrified

Jan 6, 2020
    Vancouver, BC
    Thanks to other members for their advice and inspiration - I whipped up a simple soundhole cover with a CD and a kitchen sponge using a box cutter and a glue gun. It took about 15 minutes. Works great, I think. Blue-sponge.jpg
    I just need to find a better looking sponge/foam for the strings above the nut. I've been getting wolf notes (overtones) without it. This blue sponge looks so bad -- does anyone know where I can find a black or dark brown sponge or foam for super cheap?

Attached Files:

MakoMan likes this.
  17. skycruiser

skycruiser

Jan 15, 2019
    Texas
    I'm curious how the sponge can dampen overtones when it's past the nut and most often the fretted string too. Seems like a dead part of the string past the nut. I've heard about this but havent tried it and don't understand how it could work. I suggest spraying the cd black or some other solid color.

18. MakoMan

MakoMan

Oct 17, 2011
    Ottawa, Canada
    I just trimmed a standard soundhole cover to fit in my PNB14E. Took about 10 minutes with a carpet knife.

20180909_123112.jpg

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
    Hues and Horrified like this.