1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Guitar Scale Acoustic Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SBassman, Aug 18, 2018.

1. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    I'm having so much fun with my 24.7" Ibanez PNB14E Parlor bass that I have to keep singing the praises of this class of instrument. I thought I would set up a thread specifically for guitar scale / 23 to 25" scale acoustic basses. There are now a bunch on the market:

- Ibanez PNB14E
    - Ibanez AVNB1E
    - Guild Jumbo Junior
    - Taylor GS Mini
    - Goldtone

Let's talk about these basses and strings. I replaced the DAddario EXPPBB190 strings that came on my PNB14E - with La Bella CB40 Contrabass strings. It's so much fun to play.

Let's help grow this segment so that manufacturers consider other models of these ridiculously fun to play basses. 20180722_172450.jpg

Last edited: Aug 19, 2018
    CereBassum, Ghastly, pcake and 4 others like this.
  2. tymbrewolf

tymbrewolf

Nov 10, 2003
    Tell me about the labella cb40 strings

J_Bass likes this.
  3. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Silver plated, soft strings with, I think, a nylon core.

Since they are "soft", they don't implode when they are cut. Therefore, they install properly on any scale. So, I am using them on my 24.7" Ibanez PNB14E with great results. None of the phosphor bronze tone that I don't like. It's nice mellow tone that is very comfortable and easy to play. They could use a slight increase in gauge, but even at the stock gauges, I use them very successfully on this bass. Intonation on this bass with these strings is absolutely perfect.

steve_rolfeca likes this.
  4. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Tell us about your D-Walker. I just looked them up. Very nice. Does it come tuned to standard pitch? What kind of strings come stock on it?

5. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    I saw a reference to this bass and these strings in another thread, and I would love to know more about them. If anyone knows more, please write.

Magma Transpositor acoustic bass and strings

Magma Strings

Transpositor.png

Transpositor strings.png

bassbenj, HeavyDuty and Lance Bunyon like this.
  6. tymbrewolf

tymbrewolf

Nov 10, 2003
    It comes with similar strings to the baby Taylor although I found them a little sharp to the touch. The daddario ones are more comfortable.

7. tymbrewolf

tymbrewolf

Nov 10, 2003
    ORTEGA ODW-4
    D-Walker custom made short scale bass strings are silver-plated wound on nylon silk. The strings and tension is special designed for the D-Walker basses and a scale of max. 630mm/24,80''. They produce an exelent tone and timbre and are perfectly balanced.

8. ajn

ajn Supporting Member

Sep 3, 2007
    SF Bay Area
    Do these strings have a ball end?

9. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    I have to say, after looking at the gauges and the price for those Ortega strings, that the La Bella CB40s are a nicer option.

10. tymbrewolf

tymbrewolf

Nov 10, 2003
    Ball and more guitar sized ball than bass size.

11. kohanmike

kohanmike Gold Supporting Member

There is a thread for sub-short scale bass. I'm a bass uke and mini bass player, all my basses are between 21 to 24 inch scale. I buy many from Rondomusic.com, and also modify junior guitars into a bass. I use Road Toad Pahoehoe poly bass uke strings, also LaBella 25" flat wounds made exclusively for the Gold Tone M-bass (I don't like round wound at all), they work well for any sub-short. Here's my current group of basses.

Bass Collection 32 1-2020.jpg

Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
  12. tymbrewolf

tymbrewolf

Nov 10, 2003
    I think there really is a niche for this thread as most of the other ones don't have acoustics with metal strings.

13. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    I agree. BTW - I Started the Sub Short thread many years ago. But that also covers - and often focuses on - the synthetic string stuff. I wanted this thread to stay focused on Guitar Scale Basses - defined as 23 to 25" with metal strings - not uke scales with rubber strings.

This specific market segment is now growing, and I think it will be helpful to have a thread focused on it.

Orangeclawhammr likes this.
  14. tymbrewolf

tymbrewolf

Nov 10, 2003
    Savannah with labella s? Same bridge?fretted? Ok intonation?

15. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Rondo sold a 24" scale bass uke at some point? It's definitely 24" scale?

16. kohanmike

kohanmike Gold Supporting Member

OK, I'll have to stay off this thread since all of my acoustic small basses have poly strings.

Same bridge, fretted, intonation is a little sharp at the 12th fret, but fine for me.

Yes, it listed with a 22-33 number. They tend to get out of stock quickly.

17. bherman

bherman Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2009
    Grand Junction, CO
    Just picked up an Ibanex AVNB1E, got it from Guitar Factory via Reverb. Paid just over $300 for it due to a small nick on the front edge (barely noticeable). Waiting for a set of LaBella CB40 strings to arrive but so far very happy with the bass. I've had several UBUke basses (UBass, Gold Tone) and they didnt do it for me. This bass is a keeper.

One not-so-great photo below:

Ibanez.jpg

18. Lance Bunyon

Lance Bunyon

Jul 17, 2018
    Made in Argentina. No explanation of how to buy the bass or strings.
    That short scale 5 string bass has me jonesing.

19. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Congrats. That's a great deal. A nick wouldn't bother me in the least - especially one that saved me 200 dollars. :) Enjoy. I hope you like the CB40s on it. Please let us know what you think.

If my new passion continues, that bass is in my future. :)

20. bherman

bherman Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2009
    Grand Junction, CO
    I agree the nick wasn't a big issue for me, and it was actually less noticeable than portrayed in the ad (kudos to the seller for honest representation). Hoping the strings will show up Monday - LaBella has shipped them out. Will post a review after I get them on. This is primarily meant as a travel practice bass for me when camping, but we'll see what the future holds. Havent even plugged it in yet - nice full sound acoustic, more than adequate for practice.