Guitarist turned bassist here

Discussion in 'Welcome Forum - New Member Intros' started by BradE, May 10, 2018.

1. BradE

BradE

May 10, 2018
    I've played guitar since the 70s but I've always had a bass to add basslines to recordings. I've also played bass in a few bands. I always considered myself a guitarist, though.
    Lately I have decided to just focus on being a bass player since nobody needs guitar players and I have found out that most of the guitar sites that I belong to have little enthusiasm about my bass excursions and gear, so here I am.
    Even though I am currently using a pick; I've been trying to go with what I consider to be the traditional four strings, two fingers method of bass playing instead of just being a lead bass player like many guitarists are when they play a bass.

2. Yes, we old guitar guy/gals have to remember there is a difference now. The guitar guys will get the melody, we provide the harmony and rhythm.

Our old fake chord sheet music still works, we just fall into a groove and use whatever notes let us do that. For me that is usually roots, fives and octave eights. With what I play that seems to do the trick.

Welcome to the forum, happy trails.

3. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 22, 2022