1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

gut strings height poll

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by tito mangialajo, Nov 6, 2010.

1. tito mangialajo

tito mangialajo

Feb 1, 2006
    hello gut users,
    just a question: what strings height do you have at the end of fingerboard?

2. I've not measured but it's pretty low probably 7-8 mm at the G.

3. tito mangialajo

tito mangialajo

Feb 1, 2006
    thanks Calivox.

4. 39-Bassist

39-Bassist

Jul 7, 2010
    Florida
    Endorsing Artist for: Brace Audio; Duncan Pickups; Line6, Hipshot, GHS Strings, Somnium Guitars
    My string height is adjusted to when the buzz is gone and the bow is out of neck...so for me it is low. It just comes down to the fastest most playable setting that sounds good to you and that YOU like for feel.

5. G/6mm, D/7mm. Pretty low and still no buzz. But I reckon that the ideal height for the G should be 7+mm. My mate is a long time gut user and produces Mingus like sound, about 15mm at the G string!!!! I can't play his bass to save my life :) Amazing sound but I also think that his 80.000$ DB might have something to do with it too!
    Tone

6. superman

superman

Mar 5, 2007
    Nashville Tenn
    Any where from 9.5mm to 12mm,also depends what time of the year,,I dont use adjusters so I do see some difference from summer to winter

7. JeffKissell

JeffKissell Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Soquel, CA
    8ish - G / 11ish - E ...in millimeters

8. George700DL

George700DL

Jan 9, 2009
    Maryland
    3-stringer:

A: 12 mm (bevel helps)
    D: 18-20 mm
    G: 13 mm

I'd go even higher if I wasn't worried about my adjuster stability. They're pretty far out already.

George

9. William Hoffman

William Hoffman Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2009
    Lodi, California
    G = 8mm... D = 9mm... A = 10mm... E = 11mm.

10. Salty

Salty

Oct 24, 2005
    New York, NY
    About the same range as the others mentioned here for me too. It sometimes can depend on the combination of the types of guts and the type of bass too...

My old Hawkes wouldn't speak as well with lower string height as opposed to the newer one.

I (and I know Carlos has too) have experimented with some pretty dramatic settings, to most often return to this general setting.

The benefits of having very high or very low are often offset by the negatives, as you probably know.

Best
    Matthew

11. john allemond

john allemond Supporting Member

Chorda Carlos G-10mm E-15mm

12. Nathan Parker

Nathan Parker

Oct 10, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I can't give you a number, but high enough so I can slide my fingers under them at the end of the fingerboard. So I guess maybe 10-12mm then?

13. Chris Symer

Chris Symer

Dec 13, 2009
    Seattle,Wa.
    So you going to measure your fingers for us Nate??:D

14. davpal

davpal

May 19, 2006
    Lambertville, NJ
    I use metal wrapped gut - Pirastro Eudoxa - on my bass and they're 4.5mm G to 5.5mm E I measured them using a heavy paper (light cardboard) wedge shaped piece that I slipped under the string till it touched the string & fingerboard then marked it with a felt pen. I could then measure this with a digital caliper, so I think this is pretty accurate. I don't get any buzz or rattle even when bowing and getting the string really moving. I don't think the wrapped gut swing a much as a plain gut. The Velvet strings I used previously definitely moved more and required more space but I never measured them.

15. Nathan Parker

Nathan Parker

Oct 10, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I would, but these rulers are terribly complicated things. And, that would be taking time out of my already busy schedule.

16. I use an oliv G with eudoxa D A E. All are wrapped gut. G= 6mm E= 10mm

17. tito mangialajo

tito mangialajo

Feb 1, 2006
    thanks everybody.
    ah, and mine are g=10 mm; e=14 mm.
    aquila g and d; velvet garbo a and e.

18. G = 6mm
    D = 7mm
    my A and E are Velvet Garbos.

19. threetone

threetone

Sep 27, 2011
    Europe
    Carlos Chorda G=10mm E=12mm
    I find this height very comfortable to play and doesn't interfere with technique.

How would raising the height even more influence the sound?

20. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    One way to find out.