Habib Faye

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Ben Rose, Feb 1, 2005.

1. Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Jan 12, 2004
    Is anyone else familiar with the bassist/producer for Youssou NDour? Wow!

I saw him about 10 years ago at Woodstuck with Youssou and he was doing this percussive tapping thing that I still don't understand. A good example of it is the bassline during the chorus of "Generations". His bass parts just melt into all of this percussion.
  2. Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    YES!!! Habib Faye is an awesome bassist (I think he's the musical director for youssou n'dour as well) I remember picking up a greatest hits cd a few years ago and I was blown away by his playing, it's that crazy African feel that Bakithi Kumalo (Paul Simon's Graceland bassist) has...brilliant stuff.
  3. Badou Bass

Badou Bass

Mar 4, 2005

Habib Faye is one of my favs. If I love the bass, it is mainly because of him. I started really listening to him when I was 12 and couldn't get over his sound. His playing is unique. He's got that African feel and he plays great Fusion Jazz. You can check him out in Youssou's Eyes Open where he explores many styles (tapping, african rootsy basslines, jazz, fusion, you name it). Plus if you want to see a live solo of him, please get Youssou Ndour Live In Concert. He does an amazing solo there.
  4. Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Jan 12, 2004
    Thanks for the link. I'll check that DVD out.