Halloween gig - should we dress up?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by shwabilly, Sep 9, 2017.

1. Hi Folks,

My top 40 covers band has a gig scheduled for the Saturday before Halloween. The gig is at a nice sized concert hall, and from what I understand it is a Halloween party.

I've played gigs close to Halloween in the past, and have dressed up on one occasion.

I think we're leaning toward dressing up, but is there any downside?

Also, do we co-ordinate costumes or just dress up randomly?

We're not stressing this by any means, this will be a fun out of town gig that pays well, just thought I'd ask for some advice from those who may have had success deessing up for Halloween gigs.

What should we dress as? For the record, we're a 5 peice with a female vocalist.

Thanks.

Jimmy4string likes this.
  2. skwee

skwee

Apr 2, 2010
    Minneapolis
    Of course you should dress up. If you want to keep it simple or thematic, maybe go for superheroes. Very easy to find a Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Flash, Arrow, Superman, Supergirl, Aquaman, etc. tshirts for everyone. For more fun, genderflip a couple of them.

eottjake, pcake and shwabilly like this.
  3. Picton

Picton

Aug 16, 2017
    Reading, MA
    Study and emulate the ways of Oingo Boingo. That means celebrating all things goofy, sinister, and Halloweeny.

Basshappi and hrodbert696 like this.
  4. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

If it's a costume party, sure, dress up. Try to design a costume that you can put on after you've set up and sound checked. Then you can take it off when you're done. I feel a little weird in costume in public if it's not actually Halloween evening. But at the gig it's cool.

A theme is usually good for the band. How elaborate will depend on your budget. Sometimes I like going to the thrift store to see if I can find an idea. Leisure suits are always fun. :)

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

pcake likes this.
  5. Of course you should dress up. It worked for kiss and they made millions.

I of course fully embrace the costume thing, but I go full bore, it's just how I am. This was about three years ago, with my now famous "man riding an ostrich playing a bass and singing" outfit. Yes, we have seen it all before, but I somehow brought life to the party.

here we are posing for a photo op. My poor singer was wondering what the heck she had got herself into with me.
    image.jpeg

Here my better half conjures the courage to not only be seen with me in public, but to have a picture taken with me (and Bert, the friendly inflatable ostrich.)

image.jpeg

6. We have a Halloween gig too. I honestly thought about not dressing up this year, but it is so much fun.

This was our band last year..

full?d=1505089174.jpg

BnB

7. Wicked G

Wicked G

Jan 19, 2017
    Hell Paso Texas
    Of course you should dress up for Halloween, I have done it many times and plan on doing it again this year. I typically go for scary Halloween like a Ghost Rider, Grim Reaper or even Jason Voorhees. Word of advice though, masks get very hot and sweaty and paint will get on everything and everyone around you.

8. You're in a band with a Halloween gig? And you you're wondering if you should dress up?? You may need this: CLICK HERE

All kidding aside, YES. And it's out of town? GO HOG WILD. I've found that the more you invest in your show, including costumes, the better your following will be. And if you can coordinate costumes, that's even better. Coordinating good costumes is difficult, and y'all better start today on that!

Good luck, have fun, and get freaky...

9. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Why not?

These guys do it for every gig.....

bccd1b073ae8bd4a4d9e3aa67e2e0ab2.1000x715x1.jpg

10. OH YES!
    I went NiKki Sixx ish
    one year! (That wig was hot as hell though -especially if you are dancing any)
    LOVE THAT OSTRICH PIC ^
    Nikki.jpg

11. Bodeanly

Bodeanly

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    +1 for dressing up, especially if it is being billed as a Halloween party.

We have a gig on Friday the 27th, the night before the venue's scheduled Halloween bash, but we are still planning on going full force with costumes. They have specifically asked us not to promote it as a Halloween party though.

12. Thanks for all the advice. We're going to do it. We rehearsed lastnight, and threw around some ideas. Some ideas included Zombies, smurfs and a Wizard of Oz theme. We'll see how it goes.

hrodbert696 likes this.
  13. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

I got a couple band costume pictures. We'll start with an old one, mid-80s punk theme:

cliff-nashvillewest83-jpg.jpg

The mid-90s, whatever theme.

runninkind1-jpg.jpg

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

14. craigie

craigie

Nov 11, 2015
    calgary
    My vote is the village people, but just one, everyone the same. So all cowboy or all Indian, or all policeman or.... you get the idea.

Then you have the great one time use joke of "we said village people and everybody picked the _"

Also, you can play "Y-Y-Y-Y"!

BassCliff likes this.
  15. I posted this thread last year - we'll be rocking the same place this year as the club wanted us back. Not sure what I'm dressing up as this year, but yeah - it's fun!

My Band's Halloween Gig

BassCliff likes this.
  16. The Chuck

The Chuck

Dec 11, 2013
    Wilmington, NC
    You should be the Crypt Kicker 5. Not sure how they looked though......

17. klejst

klejst Guest

Oct 5, 2010
    Oh for sure you should dress up! After all it's one of the only days of the year you can dress as a woman and pretty much (mostly) get away with it!

18. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Inactive

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Yes. Have fun with it.

Jimmy4string and jmattbassplaya like this.
  19. 12BitSlab

12BitSlab Gold Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2016
    Liberty Township
    I ALWAYS dressed in costume for Hollowe'en gigs -- it's fun and the audience likes it.

jmattbassplaya likes this.
  20. beaglesandbass

beaglesandbass Think first, then post? Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    If it's being advertised as a Halloween party, then yes you dress up. Though I prefer to be the good husband and coordinate costumes with my wife (who goes to the show) than with the band.

2015 - Pirates
    13178864_10100981766998176_3468446660886312667_n.jpg

2016- Blue Barracudas from Legends of the Hidden Temple
    14716047_10154791980556614_2528818301189533284_n.jpg

S-Bigbottom and hrodbert696 like this.