1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hardwire[Digitech] CR-7 Chorus review

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Chronicle, Sep 29, 2008.

1. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    Well i've had it for a couple of days now... Since it's just a chorus, i'm a little iffy right now but it certainly sounds good.

Some of the sounds mimic a Boss CE-5 very well. The other kind of choruses mimic choruses i haven't heard before.. but they are pretty interesting.

The construction is very nice but i'm a little worried about the button to engage the effect. It's a pin that hits what looks like a sensitive button...hopefully they built that well...

The knobs are Level, Speed, Depth, and mode. The modes are

• Studio
      Multi
      Modern
      Boutique
      Analog
      Jazz
      Vintage

Without further ado, here's a soundclip. A/B on the CE5/CR-7 later.

http://media.putfile.com/cr-7

DSCN1680.

2. B.C.

B.C. Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Indiana
    Nice review. I've been wondering about these, so they are made by digitech?

3. PunkRocker33133

PunkRocker33133 Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2008
    Northern VA
    Finally a chorus i like

Driven Crane likes this.
  4. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Yes, they're made by Digitech. I think using "Hardwire" as a moniker is just to shed the stigma associated with Digitech's name.

5. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    Yeah, i love how they hid the Digitech name. They don't even have it on the box. It's on the back of the pedal in small font :p

6. B.C.

B.C. Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Indiana
    Interesting. They just seemed to pop out of nowhere.

7. One pretty cool thing about them is they have relay based TBP switching so when they lose power they go straight to bypass mode. I played one at GC and it was mostly pretty cool. Very versatile.

8. B.C.

B.C. Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Indiana
    Wow, that is cool, I've never heard of that before. I might want to try one now.

9. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    Hm so that's what the blinking light at start up means...

10. OhThePeacock

OhThePeacock

Sep 15, 2007
    Wausau, WI
    Sounds really bright and lush. I like it.

11. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    I actually got to try these out before digitech released them. To set the record straight, Digitech did not design these pedals at all. The company was independently known as Hardwire Pedals. Digitech, before Hardwire Pedals released their product explained that it takes a lot of work and money to get new pedals on the market, and selling well. So they decided to let digitech buy them in exchange for the networking of the pedals.

12. OhThePeacock

OhThePeacock

Sep 15, 2007
    Wausau, WI
    Hmmm well they certainly brought something new to the table. The switch relay thing could revolutionize non-TBP pedals.

EDIT: I'm confused on whether these are TBP or not after re-reading the thread.

13. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    According to the description made by cheapbass, it is true bypass.

14. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    Anyways, the distortions, for guitar that is, i didnt dig so much. The Looper/Delay was pretty sick tho! And the tuner...it most definitely tuned.

15. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY

Very interesting.... this could mean a brighter future for Digitech. Maybe Hardwire will come across the Bass Whammy design :]

16. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    I loved the Metal Distortion. A little noisy with feedback but that's metal.

The Tube overdrive is nice for the old guys that still play Van Halen.

17. OhThePeacock

OhThePeacock

Sep 15, 2007
    Wausau, WI
    So with it being true bypass what exactly does switching it into bypass mode when power is lost do?

18. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    I wasnt a big fan of the metal distortion, if i had to pick one, i liked the tube overdrive. It was more punchy.

The metal was noisy, and really muddy when on loose. When i switched to tight, all the balls of the tone went away it seemed.

19. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    What he meant was when the power is lost, the pedal goes into bypass mode so your signal still goes through it.

20. OhThePeacock

OhThePeacock

Sep 15, 2007
    Wausau, WI
    Wouldn't it go through it anyways since it's true bypass?