1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Harmonica players?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by rob_the_bassist, Jun 7, 2007.

1. Hey guys I was wondering what type of harmonica john popper plays from blues traveler

also, what is the most versatile key in the harmonica world?

2. I dont know what kind of harp he plays, maybe fire through an email to someone on the BT website?

Im a big fan tho, been listening to Four most of that day, definatly one of my favourite albums :) .

And if your thinking about getting a harp, one in the key of G wouldnt put you wrong :p (ive got a hohner blues harp, but im not very good on it :( )

3. thanks!

4. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    C is a real common key that comes with "how to play harmonica" books and whatnot.

bc

5. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I have a harmonica in every key. Been playing for almost 20 years now. Total hack though. I like Lee Oskars for what it's worth. I prefer the way they feel on my tongue as opposed to wood. Although wood might sound a little better.

6. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I believe he plays Hohner Special 20s. I used to play Special 20s and then went to Lee Oskars, and now I'm back to Special 20s. I prefer the plastic. I can soak em in hot water to clean em up, and no wood to warp.

Remember that when you play "cross harp", which is typical in Blues and Rock, you play the a 5th higher than the key of harp you are playing. A C harp is used to play a song in the key of G.

I don't recommend getting a G harp. It's tuned too low for me, and it's not a good harp for bending. Get a C, A and D and you're covered for more than 50% of the typical playing you'll do with them. Those harps cover the keys of G, E, and A, which are very common keys for Rock and Blues. If you decide to stick with it get an F, and high G harp (if you can find one). Then add more as needed.

If I remember correctly, Popper played different harps within the same song. The harp is tuned to a major scale, so based on that you can play various modes. For example, the C harp is G Mixolydian, or D Dorian.

Maybe it's too much information, but it's a start.

7. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    I heard jive is the master of the skin flute as well...

:bag: :ninja:

8. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    That and the butt trumpet.

bc

9. Fair points, the book i got was written for using a G harp, so thats what i got. Thankfully they arent too expensive (for the most part) :)

I really wouldnt mind the wee fender set you used to get :

[​IMG]

10. jady

jady

Jul 21, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    I thought he use a chromatica.......

11. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I played through one of these recently. Stepped up and played during a dub reggae groove. So much fun. We jammed it out for about 15 minutes.

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 6, 2021