1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hartke - 4x10 XL Series Cabinet

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by plastik-bass[?], Mar 4, 2008.

1. What are your guys opinion on this cab??? good? bad? inbetween?

and how do you think it wil lsound w/ my 100W tube head?

There is one for sale at my local music shop and im gonna try it out with my head in a couple of days. Just thought id get a little info before i go try it out

2. bump

3. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    good gigging cab. used one for years and still see them in bars all the time

4. MyUsernameHere

MyUsernameHere ?????????????

Nov 3, 2007
    Lexington KY
    Sound OK if you like the sound (kinda circular logic I know, but its true). They're pretty heavy and be sure to price them before you buy since they can be had for cheap. They're also relatively sturdy. I've been throwing one around for 15 years with no problems.

5. peaveyman09

peaveyman09

Nov 14, 2007
    they are pretty decent cabs. at 100w though...that would probably be under powering it, as it is rated 400 watts at 8 ohms if im correct.

6. is it the 4.5XL? that cab is a very under rated cab IMO, a bit heavy, but great sounding

I used to use two with my Fender 300 PRO all tube head, and that could easily overpower them...

7. Go for it! If nicely priced of course ... But for a 100 w amp maybe a bit too heavy. I know I love mine.

8. I'm trying to get a new head but being 15 I dont have alot of money... I'm lucky i have a head as it is, i got it for free XD

9. sevenyearsdown

sevenyearsdown Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    I've been using a hartke 410 for years - love it. These guys are right though, 100watts maybe a little underpowered for that cab.

10. edbass

edbass

Nov 8, 2004
    Those old Hartke 410 XL's are great cabs IMO, in the early/mid 90's they were the "hot" cabs; almost everybody used them. I still use an old XL 410 with 60 and 150 watt Sunn tube amps frequently. Sounds good at moderate volume, and I can dime the Sunns and not worry about hurting the cab.
    What 100 watt tube head do you have?

11. jimmy rocket

jimmy rocket

Jan 24, 2008
    Ayden, NC
    Buy it. I toured with one for a while. They're practically indestructible and they sound great. But like MyUsernameHere intimated, they're either a sound that you like or not - very little in between. They're clear and beautiful, but some people think they're too clear with the aluminum cones. What sort of head do you have and what sort of music do you play?

12. Brian S

Brian S

Nov 11, 2003
    Atlanta, Georgia
    I used a borrowed one for 4 jazz combo gigs with a 350 watt head at low to moderate volume and it sounded great. A nice full tone. It is a bit heavy. Try it with your head and, if the price is right, get it.

13. quickervicar

quickervicar Supporting Member

Jul 21, 2006
    Lancaster, PA
    I borrowed one to stack on top of my Ampeg 410HE and ran my SVT-3PRO into them both. I was very impressed. That stack made my G&L SB-2 sound like a chainsaw cutting through dirt. I loved it! Unfortunately, FOH didn't sound the same.

14. figuredbass

figuredbass Supporting Member

Jul 11, 2007
    NYC vicinity
    One of my all time favorite cabs! Despite the fact that it doesn't have a tweeter, I personally slightly prefer the sound of this cab to the 4.5XL in the mids.

As far as driving it with a 100W amp, you may be a bit disappointed because it will not be able to drive the cab to its full capabilities. But tonally it should be great, IMO.

15. I had the 2.5xl cab for a bit. It was heavy, but it really sounded great. For a "cheaper" cab, it put out some serious bottom, with a nice sparkly top end, and rather punchy as well.

16. They have a very distinctive character to them. Some people like them a lot. I would not recommend getting one if you don't have the chance to give it a pretty thorough try yourself. Crank the thing up, you really should try and get a sense of what it will sound like at realistic levels.