1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hartke Bass Attack vs BOSS GEB-7

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jellyfish, Sep 8, 2009.

1. jellyfish

jellyfish

Sep 8, 2009
    Delhi
    Hey guys, m actually in the process of getting my first effect pedal. So, i have narrowed the list down to these 2: Hartke Bass Attack and BOSS GEB-7. Having both would have been heaven but I have cash only for one so m in a crossroad right now. So, if y'all can kindly show me the way would be highly appreciated. Thanks.

2. i had both as well and still own both...perfer the sound of the boss...wish it double as a DI thou

3. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    anything > hartke bass attack pedal

4. jellyfish

jellyfish

Sep 8, 2009
    Delhi
    @line6bassist:
    i reckon the sound of the BOSS pedal may be better than the Hartke one, but the Hartke is a DI cum preamp, and I plan to a bit of home recordings so it comes to real use here. Hence my dilemma.. What do you guys suggest?

5. The Hartke then, although if you want a preamp i'd get the SansAmp Bass Driver Di box thingy. Its great!

6. JFace

JFace

Apr 17, 2008
    Columbus, OH
    I own both as well, and I prefer the Boss. I actually wrote a review of it in the first issue of WBM (check signature). That being said, the Hartke is neat for home use, but in the mix its a different story. It can add low end, add clank, and cut a mid frequency of your choice, but this is the limit of the Hartke. The boss is much more dynamic in its control, but does not have the harmonics knob, which adds distortion.

7. JFace

JFace

Apr 17, 2008
    Columbus, OH
    +1

8. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    There's quite a few preamps out there I'd personally use before a BDDI. Actually I'd use no preamp before exposing myself to the unavoidable coloring that the BDDI does to anything ran through it. Had 'em twice... never ever liked what they do, and my preferred tone is clean low mid/mid punchy tone.

IMHO.

9. jellyfish

jellyfish

Sep 8, 2009
    Delhi
    Thanks for the prompt replies guys :) Anyways, where I come from, it's tough to get pedals esp. bass effects, so the afformentioned pedals are my only choices, to be honest. Well, i would prefer the BOSS EQ any day but Hartke 'is' a DI with preamp so if the onboard eqs with the 'shape' and the 'harmonics' are good enough, m slightly inclined towards Hartke. Hmmmm.. and being a 'libran' doesn't help.. lol

10. ouch.

I'm not sure how you guys can compare a preamp/DI to an EQ, but I love the sound I get from my VXL.

11. If you don't have SansAmp $$$ look into the Behringer Bass DI. Pretty amazing for a $40 pedal.

12. jellyfish

jellyfish

Sep 8, 2009
    Delhi
    @squashedOpossum
    so i guess ur using the Hartke pedal. How would u rate it? I mean, is it a good enough effect and preamp?

13. I don't know how to quantify "good enough." It's all so subjective. I love it as a preamp. Obviously, others on here don't care for it. The harmonics control allows you to add a tubey overdrive to it. Someone earlier mentioned it adds distortion, and I have to disagree with that. If you're looking for distortion, look somewhere else. This is a more of a natural overdrive you'd get by pushing a tube amp.

I don't know if I'd classify the harmonics control as an "effect" more than an aspect of tone control. It works very much the same way the Drive knob works on the SansAmp BDDI that has been recommended. In my opinion, however, the Hartke gives you more tonal control than the BDDI because of the Shape knob and switch. The sweepable mids control of the Shape knob is really handy.

Both of the pedals you've mentioned are all about finding the tone you want. You're not going to find any earth-shattering "effects" in either of these. I hope this helps.

14. jellyfish

jellyfish

Sep 8, 2009
    Delhi
    hey thanks man. Of course that helps alot. Anyway, i wasn't looking for something to completely change my sound, just to tweak my tone towards perfection, if there is any such. I don't really care for the overdrive as I play in a jazz-funk band and occasionally in church. Thanks again. Anything more regarding the Hartke pedal is very much needed, and welcome, from someone who is using it, or has used it.

15. get the Hartke and don't worry about what others think and/or say - it's a GREAT piece of equipment. IMO, way better sounding than the Sansamp, and yes, I've owned both, and use the Hartke every time I play. Like a lot of people, I don't find a lot of use for the Shape control, but have about 5 different settings that I love (from scooped R&B sounds to 70's tube overdriven B-15 sounds).

the only thing I don't like about it is the knobs, they suck and they come off. I've taken a Sharpie to them to indicate where the level actually is, then superglued them into place.

good luck.

Mark

16. foxsch

foxsch

Jul 23, 2011
    I have both pedals ..... Here's my 2 cents : They both sound really good, however the geb7 does impart a very pleasing sound to a bass & has lots of tweakability, but no DI out. The vxl has a big-balls sound w/ that tube emulation circuitry that would probably be great when competing w/ other instruments & a DI out. The shape circuitry is pretty tweakable, but not quite like the geb7. I've not recorded with either, but my guess is .... for loud live playing : Mr. VXL. For softer gigs & recording : Mr. GEB-7.

17. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

First of all - you cannot compare the two - they are really different pieces of gear.

I have and use both. The Hartke is a good preamp and I use only the right button - I have no use for the wild effects - but a gentle use of the right side adds a nice fullness to the sound. My biggest gripe is the size of the thing.

The EQ is the last in the chain and is used in general for a bit of room EQ compensation. I usually have the top and bottom sliders rolled off a bit, with the mids adjusted to sound best in the room we are playing.

18. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    For recording and live performances, the hartke vxl bass attack preamp pedal would be a good choice. I own one and it sounded pretty cool live and during recording sessions. I used on with my brother's band and everyone in my brother's band really dig this pedal. my brother's band is currently recording a new album and I've been using this pedal along with my danelectro fab chorus pedal and my digitech xbd bass overdrive/distortion pedal and it sounded totally awesome in the band mix. I can hardly wait until the new album is released. anywho, If you like a pedal that has tube-emulated sounds along with some tone-shaping capabilities, the hartke vxl bass attack preamp pedal would be a good choice.

19. Filip Burdon

Filip Burdon

Jan 16, 2012
    Warsaw Poland
    Bass player in https://www.facebook.com/TamamShodProg/
    If I'm looking more for an eq then DI box I understand the Geb-7 will do the job better?
    Because I already have a DI box (Radial J48) and some distortions/fuzzes/drives and I need some ok eq to get some different tone from time to time.

20. dax21

dax21

Nov 26, 2011
    Serbia
    The major dealbreaker about Hartke is that EQ is always on, even when bypassed. And that is something that is not clearly stated about the pedal and people often overlook it.
    As far as how it sounds, I haven't tried it but I get this negative impression based on the sound clips from YT that no matter what settings you dial in, you are just adding presence, those really high highs. It thins out the sound instead of making it beefier, which is what I would prefer.
    Overdrive is too fizzy for my taste too, reminds me a lot of ODB-3 and is nowhere near the Sansamp's character, to which it's often compared.
    If one of you guys has it and has some clips that prove my last two sentences false, I would really love to hear it.

On the other hand, I have GEB-7. It does what it's supposed to do and it does it well. If EQ is what you need, you can't really go wrong with it.