1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Hartke Cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bass_masta16, Sep 26, 2008.

1. I am in need of a new cab (I have multiple other threads about cabs).

I have recently been looking into Hartke, well, because I already have one (but its shot) and I like it.

I am in need of a cab that is about 500-600 watts at 4 ohms, and I want to go Hartke, so..

My budget is only about 500-600 dollars, so I don't really know if I could obtain a decent cab for that amount.

I would prefer its new, nothing off of Ebay, Kijiji, TB, etc..

Can anyone suggest a Hartke 410 to me that fits these statistics?

Quick question aswell, how is "Hartke" pronounced? I've heard people say "Har-Take" or "Hart-Key"

Thanks

2. Funkdrawer4

Funkdrawer4 Registered Abuser

Hart-key

4.5xl is the cab ,4x10 plus tweeter

3. how many watts at 4 ohms is it? i can only find the 8 ohms info

4. I don't know a whole lot, but if you have a 400w 8 ohm cab, and you pair it with another cab (to make 4 ohms) doesn't it double the wattage or something like that?

5. headtrip762

headtrip762

Feb 13, 2008
    NEPA
    go to hartke check out the hydrives, 4x10 cab is rated up to 1000 watts at 4 ohms. runs about $600 new, i played one i liked it, now im saving money for the 4x10 and 1x15 for when the kilo comes out.

6. I've never seen a Hartke 4x10 that is a 4 ohm.

7. whoa, sounds interesting, but i dont need THAT many watts :p

8. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    That's okay, you won't HAVE "that many watts".

The power rating of a cab is a measure of how much electrical power you can put INTO it. There's nothing wrong with using a cab that has a higher rating than you need, as long as your amp has enough power to drive it as loud as you want to get without running flat out.

9. Anyone?

10. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Here's my layman's explanation:

If you have a 350 watt head, like my Hartke HA3500, and one 8 ohm cabinet, the amp's output will be something like 270 watts. If you add a second 8 ohm cabinet, the system impedance drops to 4 ohms and the amp's output will be the full 350 watts. The power ratings are usually printed on the back of the head and included in the on-line specs. Sorry for the non-scientific explanation but I'm sure you get the idea.

If you'd like to see for yourself, I'll be at the South Norfolk Moose Lodge, Norfolk, VA tonight at 8:00. Be sure to introduce yourself; I'll buy you a beer and 50/50 ticket.

Riis

11. Thanks for the info, but I don't know if I fully understand yet.

Can anyone tell me how many watts the 4.5xl is at 4 ohms?

12. Zooberwerx

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    No problem. The Hartke 4.5xl is rated 400 watts at 8 ohms. The speaker impedance load will drop to 4 ohms if you couple the 4.5xl with a second 8 ohm speaker.

The amplifier's output varies with the total system impedance it "sees" at the other end. Most amplifiers are capable of effectively handling impedances of 8 and 4 ohms, only a handful can do 2 ohms safely (without risk of damage).

Back to the question: the 4.5xl is capable of handling 400 watts at 8 ohms. If you drop the system impedance to 4 ohms by adding the second cabinet, the 4.5xl will still be capable of handling the aforementioned 400 watts.

13. Count Bassie

Count Bassie Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    8 ohms is the rating (impedance) of the cab. The cab is 8 ohms, and that's it. You won't get anything from the amp at 4 ohms, because the cab you're feeding is 8 ohms. This is a fixed number for the speaker's resistance to signal from the amp, as a speaker is a passive device.

So: The amp will have an output rating at 8 ohms, and another rating at 4 ohms. Let's say the amp's 4 ohm rating is your 'max output', or highest number for power output. But if the cab has an input rating at 8 ohms, you'll get the amp's output at 8 ohms, not 4. See?

If you have 2 cabs rated at 8 ohms and they're both running off the amp, you'll now be delivering output at 4 ohms (8 ohms divided by 2 cabs = 4 ohms).

Getting it?

I took too long to post! Sorry to be redundant and long-winded!

14. Ahhh, ok, I got it now :p

15. Years ago when I had a young back I played a 4.5XL on top with a 115XL on the bottom. I ran it full range with a QSC USA 850 bridged. That was probably my loudest and one of my best sounding rig ever.

16. Ok, so I still don't understand something :p

If I were to get a 4.5XL, and make a stack with my Transporter, NORMALLY, that would be 4 ohms (8+8=4), but from what I'm getting from this, the 4.5xl doesn't have a 4ohms option, but could I still run it at 4 ohms? Would it effect it in any way?

17. Yes, I am aware that I probably sound like a complete idiot

18. Zooberwerx

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    No, you'll be fine provided you don't overpower things (the Transporter has a lower power rating). When you hook up your 8 ohm 4.5xl with an 8 ohm Transporter, the combination will essentially create a single 4 ohm load for your amplifier.

Unless you live south of the equator in which case all bets are off.

Riis

19. MyUsernameHere

MyUsernameHere ?????????????

Nov 3, 2007
    Lexington KY
    Yes. The cabinet(s) determines the ohm load, not the amp. If you have a 4 ohm head you can run it into any cabinet or combination of cabinets where the resistance is 4 ohms or greater. Whether that be 5 ohms or 1000 ohms. You'll only run into problems if you run the head into something with less resistance (i.e 2 4 ohm cabinets with a combined resistance of 2 ohm, etc...)

20. Count Bassie

Count Bassie Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    Take your turn like a man! :D