Hartke LH500 Effects Send volume

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sveje77, Feb 9, 2019.

Tags:
  1. sveje77

sveje77

Mar 12, 2017
    Hi,
    I just bought a Hartke LH500 Bass Amp for direct recording. The manual states that the Effects Send jack is "unaffected by the setting of the Volume control.". Nevertheless, when I connect my audio interface to the effects send of the amp for direct recording, the volume does indeed change when I turn the volume control on the amp. Am I doing something wrong?

BasturdBlaster likes this.
  2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    The master volume control or the gain knob? Usually the master won't affect volume but the gain will.

3. sveje77

sveje77

Mar 12, 2017
    The LH500 doesn‘t have a gain control, only volume. And according to the manual it shouldn‘t affect the volume of the effects send, but it does.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Weird. Well I don't know but Hartke CS is excellent. If you can wait till Monday, I'm sure they can help but you'll probably get an answer here soon enough.

5. kbakerde

kbakerde Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Question, why are you using the effects send and not the DI?

But you’re right right the volume controlling the effect loop shouldn’t happen.

6. sveje77

sveje77

Mar 12, 2017
    I am using the effects send because the XLR DI output of the amp is pre-EQ, it just sends a more or less untreated bass signal through.

7. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

That’s what most folk want to go into their recording train.

8. sveje77

sveje77

Mar 12, 2017
    Yes, and it wasn‘t my intention to critisize that. It‘s just not what I want and meant as an explanation why I use the effects send instead. I want to record a sound that went through the preamp/EQ of the amp and then slap a good impulse response on the track.

I love the sound of the amp and the effects send works perfectly fine for me. I was just wondering why it is affected by the volume control when - according to the manual - it shouldn‘t.
    Am I doing something wrong? Is something wrong with the amp? Is the manual incorrect? Or did I misunderstand the manual?
    Here is what it says: „EFFECTS SEND jack - Use this 1/4” unbalanced jack to send low impedance (100 ohm) signals from the Model LH500 to a professional outboard effects processor such as a reverb, echo, chorus, flanger, or harmonizer device. Output level is approximately 0 dB to +4 dB and is post-EQ and post-Limiter but unaffected by the setting of the VOLUME control. You can also use the Effect Send jack to route signal to an external mixing console or amplifier with an input sensitivity of +4 dB.“

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
  9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Blech!!! :)

BassmanPaul likes this.
  10. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    That's not really how the LH works. If you plug into the FX return with any pre-amp, The volume knob is deactivated. Edit: This is because you would be bypassing the Entire preamp section.

The send side of the effects loop has to be responsive to volume knob. Or you'd have no volume since the signal goes through the effects loop.

Edit: It almost seems like that part of the manual is just wrong.
    This one line in particular:

"post-EQ and post-Limiter but unaffected by the setting of the VOLUME" control.

TwentyHz and BasturdBlaster like this.
  11. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    I just helped somebody with something similar using a preamp pedal... the effects send is POST volume control, post EQ, and the effects return injects signal into the power amp with no additional volume control. It's possible that there's just a mistake in the manual. (at least on the unit that helped a player configure with his preamp)

Kro and PotsdamBass8 like this.
  12. PotsdamBass8

PotsdamBass8 Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    Yeah I think it’s likely that there’s an error in the manual. Maybe they copy/pasted some parts from another bass amp manual that had a separate gain and master and didn’t consult the actual schematic.

agedhorse likes this.
  13. BasturdBlaster

BasturdBlaster

Feb 19, 2012
    Crandon WI
    I had an LH1000 and I can confirm what the OP is experiencing with the fx loop. The loop should be labeled pre out/power amp in instead of fx loop.

14. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    It's no different than most effects loops on amps without a master volume control.

BasturdBlaster and JDMcDorce like this.
  15. Wait. So I'm confused. If I had a pedal board with preamp and plugged directly into the effects return, the volume control on the amp doesn't work? All volume would be controlled from the pedal board going into the amp?

Squittolo likes this.
  16. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Correct.

Squittolo, TwentyHz and tfer like this.
  17. Well this thread and information is surely timely. I've got just that type of set up and have been running into the effects return of an Orange TB500 and I was feeling bad about using it all the time and was thinking of picking up an LH500 but I would need the volume knob on the amp to work (it works on the Orange). Thanks!

agedhorse likes this.
  18. FunkHead

Mar 10, 2007
    You are essentially just using the power amp section and bypassing your amps pre-amp when plugged directly into the effects return. It's cool to try different Pre's or pedals this way. There's a whole new selection of tones for better or possibly worse.

Squittolo and TwentyHz like this.
  19. FunkHead

Mar 10, 2007
    The TB500 must be wired in a unique way. At least not like Hartke. Does the EQ section work also?

Edit: actually, looking at the Schematic it looks like EQ section would be separate.

20. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Eq is before the effects loop.

FunkHead likes this.