1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hartke LH500

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by KJung, Jun 19, 2008.

1. It's a filter for the air intake for the fan. Not sure why they did this, and why they put it on the front of the amp, but that's what it is.

2. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    That would be me...

3. jgsbass

jgsbass

May 28, 2003
    Floral Park, NY
    I'm on the fence for buying one. I need a spare/new amp as my 350x has seen better days. I tried it out for a few minutes the other day and saw that there is something there, worth checking it out with my bass. What may float the deal for me is: Sam Ash just sent me a coupon for $100 off on a purchase of >$499. If I buy $50 bucks of strings and wires, I'm still saving $50 bucks and the'll give me 12 months to pay on their credit card. Its tempting. The downsides to me are 1) no speakons on the LH500. 2) its a heavy sucker: 20+ lbs. and 3) I had a 3500 that literally fell apart in less than 2 years.
    I'll keep you posted, this ones tempting.

4. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I just found this thread and checked it out. There aren't many online reviews yet - this is the most comprehensive discussion I've found. The reports on this amp here are pretty encouraging. A street price of $449 makes it a decent value, and I don't see that a shipping weight of 25 pounds makes it very heavy. There are a lot of amps in its power range that are heavier.

Longevity is kind of a crapshoot at this point - the amp seems to be pretty new, so it doesn't have much of a track record yet.

5. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx

This would be me as well. I love the old bassmans for that warm but still pretty clean and fat sound. I have the 135, the biggest one I could find but it still lacks the power to get loud enough sometimes and still play clean. A bass plugged into an overdriven fender is not a pleasant sound IMO.

6. jgsbass

jgsbass

May 28, 2003
    Floral Park, NY
    Not on the fence anymore. Bought the last one out. Can't put it through its major paces 'til next week. I have a big band job tomorrow and I'm sure I won't be blasting. Sounds nice so far: fat and punchy. Can't post a pic because I'm temporarily over my limit, but trust me. Its here and its heavy.

zapped777 likes this.
  7. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    You should try the LH1000 with a 1000 watts with the new 4x10 1000 watt cabinet !. It just kills and mind you the LH1000 is only about $160.00 more . I was playing one of the new MIM 70's thru this thing and I was like "Damn all this power for under $1000.00 bucks.

8. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    The cabinets sounds "Stupendous. Both the 4x10 and the single 15

9. jgsbass

jgsbass

May 28, 2003
    Floral Park, NY
    I tried the 15 to audition the LH500. For a 15, it sounded pretty tight and fast. But this was in Sam Ash and I'm just not gonna blast out there. I kink of feel bad for the salesmen there as kids will be wanting to crank up a 1,000 watt amp in the store.

10. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    Trust me the Kilo will do well,but I can tell you that the Sam Ash were I lived had 3 of the LH 500''s and 2 of the LH 1000's and they sold ALL OF THEM.
    Now as far as the 4x10 cabinets not only did I get to try it with both of the Hartke heads, I also hooked up a used Fender Pro 800 head ( which is pretty damn loud ) to it,and it sounded just as good.

11. X Wolf

X Wolf Guest

Really looking forward to trying the LH500. I absolutely love the simplicity of the controls and so long as it's not much over 20 pounds, that wouldn't be too heavy in my estimation. I have some physical issues so anything much heavier than that would be a problem. I'm already wondering how it would sound with a pair of compact lightweight single 15's. This is the first Hartke product that I have even been remotely interested in.

George

12. jgsbass

jgsbass

May 28, 2003
    Floral Park, NY
    First gig w/LH500 complete. This gig is the wrong gig to judge this amp: 16 piece big band, small stage. Sound guy comes up and wants to hang a Shure SM57 over the cabinet at speaker height with the ball facing straight down. I told him to either mike it with a stand with the mike facing the speaker, use the line out ( risky, it is direct, no pre and it is a first time for this amp) or do nothing. He took the hint and a line out.
    This amp is simple. 4 knobs and one of them is volume. I kept it low but it still made my Avatar sb112 sing. Very full sounding and I was being very careful with the eq, hardly pushing it east of 12 o'clock. I pushed the volume at sound check for a second and its in there. I'll know better next week when I work my regular gigs. As mentioned, its heavy. But heavy in a sturdy way, much better constructed than the 3500 I owned. Knobs feel solid. I did get a compliment from a customer about the tone, but I have no Idea what it sounded like in the house. Wasn't even my regular Peavey Foundation, it was a Foundation strung with flats but the one time I popped, it sounded clean, not brittle or clangy.
    To sum it up: so far, so good.

13. X Wolf

X Wolf Guest

Does anyone know how the sound compares to an LMII?

George

14. :D Very different. The LMII is quick, clean, and while warm for a SS head, it's definitely solid state. It sounds absolutely the same through its entire volume range, and is a wonderful head for slap style playing (and most other styles that require accurate, clean bass reproduction). It's even mid response results in a very 'studio board' sort of vibe to my ear (warm, but accurate and relatively transparent).

The Hartke amp we are talking about is voiced to sound very 'tube clean'. It reminds me a lot of an old Fender Bassman turned down so that it doesn't distort and fart all over the place. It's kind of like a 'poor man's' Alembic preamp/power amp rig. It's very warm, very fat, it has some 'give' to the feel, and while it is not meant or voiced for overdriven tone, you can feel the tube 'give and break-up' in a very pleasant way when you dig into it.

It only has a 'pregain' control (no master). It seems they really were going for the 'old school' sort of Bassman thing, without the low power tube amp distortion. It even has tone controls that seem to be based on the old 'Fender' stack, where noon is not 'flat', etc.

Quite frankly, this amp sounds like what I was hoping the Shuttle 6.0 would sound like. It is much fatter and warmer than the 6.0, and has a tube voicing, like the Alembic pre, that really gives a sense of 'high quality tube driven tone', if that makes sense, versus the more 'suggestion' of a tube in the Eden, SWR and Shuttle 6.0 (IMO there).

Edit: FYI, while I've done about a zillion gigs with the LMII, my experience with the LH500 was in a music store. I was just so pleasantly surprised by this thing (especially given the price point), that I felt it was worth a thread. It seems MUCH better quality and construction than the earlier Hartke heads, as posted above.

15. X Wolf

X Wolf Guest

Thanks KJung!

From your description it sounds as though I would probably like the sound of the LH500 more than the LMII, although the size and the weight of the LMII are appealing . I'm going to have to try an LH500 out and an LMII and some other heads as well.

George

16. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    They're totally different from each other.
    The MarkBass stuff is nice,but a little soft in areas where's the Hartke is a little more open and transparent,however I think the LMII is a little cleaner,but the Hartke has more of a bite to it but this is not to take anything away from the MarkBass because it's a great amp,but now I'm going to throw a "wrench in this thread (don't mean to hijack it) the Carvin BX1200 Bass head is proably the best head I've played thru and you can get it shipped @ your door in 5 days for $599.00 plus shipping and if that ain't enough power for you,then they also have a 1500 watt head for 699.00 and a 1900 watt head for 1299.00,however I've only played the 1200 thru 1 of the new Hartke HyperDriver 4x10 and I had all the headroom I would ever need

17. jgsbass

jgsbass

May 28, 2003
    Floral Park, NY
    But does the Carvin have a tube? The thing about this amp thats great is the simplicity and the tube sound. Just like a vintage amp bufore its pushed into mushiness, except you're sitting on 500 watts ( 1,000 if you go for the larger one)

18. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    No , however you can dial in a tube type sound with these heads,but I see were you're getting at when discussing the simplicity of the Hartke because besides it's power (LH1000 ) I was thrilled to see how straight forward the Hartke was,but I wouldn't call the Carvin simple,but it isn't rocket science either.
    Now if I'm not mistaken the Carvin 1900 head is tube.

19. I've been curious about the new Hartke stuff as well, and finally today picked up the new "Guitar & Bass Gear Buyer's Guide" that GP & BP put out.

It was there that I first realized the LH series had just a three band EQ! Quite a change from the 10-band graphic plus high-and-low shelving of the original Hartke amps, as well as the two band parametric on the 4000. Hard to figure what's up with that, but at least they left off that danged compressor that nobody liked!

I wish them luck with these new products. They've needed some new blood for a while now.

By the way, in the Gear Guide, it says the Kilo has both a tube preamp, as well as a tube power amp! Can you say fact checker?

I still use my 1155 Combo (with the 3500 head) from time to time. Nothing else quite like it.

20. Sharkman

Sharkman

Apr 23, 2004
    Portugal
    I was just wondering if this LH Series means the demise of the HA2500, 3500 and 5500...

Aren't they basically the same? But cheaper?