HArtke systems

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by alextruf, Oct 19, 2005.

1. alextruf

Sep 13, 2005
    What do you think/know about a HArtke rig compose by:
    HArtke 3500b + 410TP and 115TP

2. what kind of music do you play, what bass do you use, what are you competeing with etc etc
  3. threshar

Jul 30, 2002
    If you're looking at a 4x10 and 1x15 check out the hartke vx1508 cab - it has 2 8's, 1 15 and a horn. I have one and it sounds terrific (and not too expensive either!

(Running it through a HA5500 head)
  4. skewh

Sep 5, 2005
    Ithaca, NY
    I have a Hartke HA3500, but I use an Avatar cabinet. Regardless, I get great tones, with little effort.
  5. I had a 3500 + 410TP and JBL 140E (15" in custom cab) for about 3 years. I played in a country band and thought it sounded pretty good and I always got tons of great comments. When I had PA reinforcement, I usually left the 15" at home, and still got great sound and comments on the 410. Then I bought an Eden 210XLT, then an Alembic F-1X/Crest and sold the Hartke rig to my dad. After playing the F-1X/Eden rig, I couldn't stand the Hartke sound as it sounded way too sterile.

I now use an EA rig (iAMP800 and 2 CXL112) which is a happy medium for me. I get a very tight response AND a big fat bottom with sizzling highs. I'm very happy. I played the Hartke at my dad's last week and it sounded better than I remembered.... but I'm definitely keeping the EA! ;) At least I know I always have a pretty decent back up rig.

One more thing.... the only problem I had with the 410TP was its low power handling (I think 200w) and the aluminum cones. I was always paranoid about blowing something up. Ironically, the ONLY speaker I ever blown was one of the 10s in the 210XLT.

Just my Cdn $0.0235495

6. I just got 2 of the aluminium coned 4.5xl's

Haven't spent much time with them yet, but with the SWR head I am currently using, they are very punchy and articulate ( I atribute this to the alu cones) but they do have a harshness in the high mids somewhere that I would like to eq out if I can... does anyone know what frequncy this sound is at by any chance?
  7. andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    Had 2 of these myself too for years. Later I switched one of them for a 215XL (mi present rig) and changed the 5" in the remaining 4.5XL for a Beyma CP16 PA compression tweeter (specifically to lose some harshyness and gain more cristal -"higher"- highs). The "harshness zone" is between 2 and 3KHz. This gets more notorious depending on which bass you use. It gets particularly noticeable with my SR5. But it's tamable, I cut some 5/6dB with my parametric EQ at 2.7KHz, with a generous enough Q. Good luck!

8. Shot, thanx! Will try that out tonight at practice!
  9. alextruf

Sep 13, 2005
    Thanks a lot so far...:)
    I am using a ARIA IGB55 for the moment. I know is not a great bass, but ...that's for the moment.
    The power ox 410TP is, true is less then 410XL, is just 300W.
    TOgether with 115 will be more than enough for me.
    Concerning Hartke 3500 Basstop II, I am interested especially in the way it sounds on tube pre-amp.
    "The HA3500 includes selectable passive or active input, tube and solid-state pre-amps, variable compression, 10-band graphic EQ, high/low frequency contour control and a direct XLR output."
  10. I'm not sure if you are able to mix the two preamps together or not, but I've had success with other amps by combining a little bit (like a quarter) of the Tube preamp to the SS preamp just to beef up the sound a little with harmonics. Just a sound I like, but play around with mixing the two if you can...
  11. The Nanny

The Nanny

Dec 23, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I used to own that exact rig. Here are my thoughts on it:

- 3500 and the 410 good for the price
    - the only speaker I've ever blown was the 115TP
    - if I were to do it over, I'd get 2 410 cabs, and not bother with the 115, not because it blew but because I really think the 410s sounded great, and the 115TP didn't add any more low end
    - don't let the TP label fool you...they are pretty heavy...no lighter than most other cabs
    - the lack of castors or pull out handles was annoying
    - the 3500b head design was bad on the knobs...I broke 2 just is normal usage, because they stick out too much
    - the lack of a level control for the DI on the 3500 was annoying at times, but that comes with the price I guess
    - I found Hartke customer service to be downright horrible
    - again, for the price, a decent sound and decent power
  12. Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    I had a very similar rig. liked it.

on hartke's tube pre, you can crank it to 10 and give it a hot signal with an 18V preamp and it wont overdrive at all. you get NO tubey grit out of it. TRhats niether good nor bad... it jsut is.

my fan squeels somtimes. i bang it and it stops.

the TP is lighter than the Xl, but not by a ton. the Xl's dig down a little deeper.

consider a tp 410 and an xl 410. 1 for when you want light, one for deeper, both for louder? a thought. i like my hartke 115xl. It's not top end, but it's pretty versitle.
  13. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    I'd opt for differing cabs personally. The vx's maybe.