Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hartke Vs Ashdown Vs Gallien-Kruger

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by b-ace!, Jul 15, 2004.

1. b-ace!

b-ace!

Jul 15, 2004
    Hi everyone, nice to meet you all, this is my first post. heres my problem, im looking to buy a new amp setup and i can't decide between hartke, ashdown or gallien-kruger. the choice is between;

hartke-the HA 3000 head with 410xl or VX410 cab
    ashdown-MAG 300H head with 4x10 cab
    gallien-kruger- a setup similar to those above (300W head with 4x10 cab)

I don't know too much about amps, but i have tried the harkte and the ashdown setup but can't decide. i have also been told to check out the gallien-kruger stuff. i play in a hardcore band using a pick (and using other peoples stuff at the moment) and am in the process of starting up an instrumental band with a drummer which will be more finger style and strumming but quite technical so being able to get a good tone (for hearing each note) is important.

If anyone has any advice to give me, please do as I'd love to get some to decide which amp would be best for me.

thanks for reading! :)

2. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    For hardcore, I'd highly reccomend a Gk 400RB-IV or 700RB-II and 410SBX. Alot of hardcore bands are using them today, they they get a great growl for hardcore.

~Patrick

3. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    One thing you should keep in mind about your amp search is that you geta cab that can handle what the amp puts out. In other words if you have a head that has a minimum impendance of 4 ohms be sure you have a cab that is 4 ohms or 8 ohms and be sure it can handle the power that is distributed to it.

4. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    I purchased and returned the Ashdown MAG (made in China) head. It wasn't in the same league as my Ampeg B2R.

I would look into GK! (or Ampeg)

Lync

5. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    After rereading my last post, I want to add that the Ashdown still may be okay for some folks. It just didn't work out for me.

The B2R definitely had more headroom though...

6. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    But then again i've read that the b2r is the quitest 300 watts you'll ever see. I wouldnt mind a GK rig musicianfriend had one GK full stack a while ago it consisted of 2 410 sbx cabs and a 1001 rb-II for i think 1500$

7. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    Don't always believe what you read...

The B2R is a cool amp (even though it has the Ampeg budget stigma).

8. metalbass101

metalbass101

Jan 24, 2004

Ok.So say if you have a amp that puts out 400 W. at 4 ohms,
    and you have a cab that is 8 ohms and 400 W. handling,will the 400 watts still go through???

9. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In

Yes that will work fine except the power of the amp will be cut in half insted of 400 watts into 4 ohms it will be like 200 or so into 8 ohms. I dont know the reasoning behind the theroy of ohms i just know how power is distributed im sure other guys here can explain it better than i can. But yea the man philosphy behind ohms is the less you have the more power. Heres another way you can look at it ohms are resistence so the more you have the less amount of power they are going to produce or let be powered. But yes indeed if you get a 8 ohm cab that handles 400 watts and a 4 ohm head tha handles 400 watts it would be fine it just wont be the full potential of the amp. You would need another 8 ohm cab to get 4 ohms. 2 16 ohm cabs =8 ohms, 2 8 ohm cabs =4 ohms and 2 4 ohm cabs=2 ohms.

10. metalbass101

metalbass101

Jan 24, 2004
    BUMP

seriously I need that answer

11. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    ashdown. nuff said. they have a lot of low end. and most hardcore bands need some good lows. but still all the same you can get your mids and highs from it. good price great gear. im all about me some ashdown, go for it.

12. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    really the only thing that i dont like about ashdown is that their mag 300 head only has one speaker input. So you can only hook up one cab. And all of the mag cabs are...8 ohms so you'd only be useing the mag 300 to half its potential. Other than that their stuff is awesome little pricey for my tastes but still good.

13. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    couldnt you not run a speaker cable out from one cab into another? that would give you full power. two 8 ohm, make 4. youd be ok doing that.

14. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    ohh yea i didnt think bout that heh.

15. hetsscaryguy

hetsscaryguy

May 22, 2004
    Ireland
    the mag does have two outs. its just they are 1/4 inch. theres one speakon if thats what you mean

16. yea i like that about the mag stuff... one speakon and 2 jacks, pretty flexible and i think it shows confidence by ashdown you can use this gear with bigger cabs.

all the mag cabs have 2 jacks and one speakon inputs also!

I play punk rock and use the MAG setup I like it but I don't think it's a classic punk or hardcore sound. personally i wouldn't change it. I played that hartke setup, i hated the alu cones but still i prefered the smoother sound of the ashdown, i think for a classic hardcore thwak the hartke would be pretty good... on this one you'll definatly have to buy with your ears!

17. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    Oh, But grasshopper, the journey has just begun. You can not arrive at the place you want to be with a single step!!! :D

18. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    i ayed through a hartke 7000 head and a 410 xl cab a few weeks ago, i thought it sounded nice it had a certain punch to it i like. I think if you're into slap bass or playing with a pick that a hartke set up would give you lots of highs and mids. But if you're ore of a rock bassist id suggest maybe gk. But i did like the tone i got from the hartke stuff.

19. out of the 3 you've mentioned I'd pick Ashdown, very punchy. There's someone on TB who is selling an Ashdown 410 for a pretty darn good price.