Hartke Vs Ashdown Vs Gallien-Kruger

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by b-ace!, Jul 15, 2004.

1. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith Guest

Sep 9, 2001
    GK 400RB with Eden 2x10 & 1x15
    or
    GK 400RB with two Eden 2x10 cabs.

2. b-ace!

b-ace!

Jul 15, 2004
    Hi, thanks to everyone whose replied! yeah ive tried the ashdown and i think its a bit too bass-y (if its possible) maybe it was just the way the guy in the shop set it up for me. what i'm looking for is an amp which can give a sort of dianogah/les claypool sound (for my new band) and then more bass for my hardcore band. im pretty sure all the amps mentioned would be fine for my hardcore band, its just the question of finding an amp that will give me the most control of the mids and highs tone but then i don't want an amp that isn't that bass-y when playing with a band. I guess I'm looking for a perfect amp! :D

3. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    you want that rubber band mid range...haha. yea ashdowns do get really bassy at times. infact it took me two months to get the eq set whre i wanted it. just out of curiosity which ashdown did you try?

4. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith Guest

Sep 9, 2001
    No. You need to educate yourself on the art of EQ so you don't have to rely on morons at music stores to set up amps for you...and lead you astray in the process. That Ashdown would work very well for you if you only understood the properties of EQ.

5. b-ace!

b-ace!

Jul 15, 2004
    Hi I tried the MAG 300H head through a 410 cab. I did play with the EQ a bbit but I couldn't lose the bassy-ness. T. Alan Smith you're right I do need to educate myself on the art of EQ. any tips? or any good websites? i just think if its the right amp for me should I be able to get the right sound after a little fiddle..........(no jokes please! :)). This is probably very naive of me.

6. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    well im not all famililar with the mag gear. i hear its great. but teh abm stuff im definately all about. i jsut had to learn to pull back some bass frequencies and boost the high mids and highs a smidge and bam...but it took me a long time.

and in addititon to eq study, id like to read up on it myself. any websites?

7. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I will always be a GK fan. I have played everything with mine. The 1001 is VERY versatile. I used to run a sansamp BDDI in front of it all the time, but now I only use it for just a bit of color on the songs that need the sweeling bass. My GK always cuts well, but can groove, and is very light for the power it kicks. If you check out the 1001 RB Mark 2, it is the same weight as the mark one, but 200 more watts! My mark one is 540, which is plenty for me, but 700 some would be sweet!

8. b-ace!

b-ace!

Jul 15, 2004
    I think I'll go try that ashdown again with my bass and my new found EQ knowledge. the guy in the shop suggested either a 410 cab or a (i think it was a) 1x15 with a 2x10 cab. which do you think I should go for and will it affect the sound that much? I'm thinking the 410 cab as it will mmost likely sit in my room or the practice studio for most of the time and maybe get taken to the occasional gig but people putting on gigs round here just ask the bass player to bring their head.

9. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith Guest

Sep 9, 2001
    A 2x10 + 1x15 short stack will be much more flexable and much easier load in/out than a 4x10.
    I'm a quantity over quality guy. Here's what I did-
    I tested and purchased an SWR 350 head & Goliath 2x10 cab in 8 ohm version. I've got all I need for practice and rehearsals. NOW, when a gig comes up, I simply rent an additional 8 ohm cab to run with my rig.
    So go with the better Ashdown head and **8 ohm** 2x10 OR 1x15 cab now, and rent an additional cab for gigs. :)

10. bogart

bogart

Dec 11, 2003
    big bear, ca
    Dude, my mag 300 head has two outputs. You're crazy. While I'm on the subject my ashdown rig is by far and away the best rig for the money. All the mids you could ever want. The lows are there, if you need em. I stay in the midrange myself. ANd am stoked with it.

11. bogart

bogart

Dec 11, 2003
    big bear, ca

Go 4x10. It is all about moving air. 40 inches is more than 35 in a 2x10 and 1x15 combo. And more is better my friend. I was so impressed with the single 4x10 that I went and ordered another one. Should be here wednesday.

12. bogart

bogart

Dec 11, 2003
    big bear, ca

Yet another reason to go with a 4x10. Speak on.

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 18, 2022