1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hartke VXL footswitch pre-amp for microphone?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Lumpy_Bass, Jul 12, 2012.

1. What's up TB,

The singer in one of my bands is having issues being heard through our PA. At rehearsal tonight we are gonna try running her mic through my Hartke VXL Bass Attack. (I know it's not the ideal situation but its a piece of equipment that I have readily available and do not use much right now and of course the price is right:))

Will it work?. If so what is the best way to connect it, set it etc...? Here's a link in case you need more info on the product. Thanks for all input in advance.

http://www.samsontech.com/hartke/products/accessories/pedals/vxlattack/

2. bump

3. Barisaxman

Barisaxman Gold Supporting Member

Aug 17, 2005
    Omaha, NE
    I guess the question is what problem are you trying to solve? What are you using to amplify the vocals right now. I don't see how a bass pedal is going to do anything to solve "not being heard". Sounds to me like you need either more input gain, better eq, or a better PA system. Without details of the setup I can't tell which one.

4. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Or, everyone in the band needs to turn the heck down.

:ninja:

That being said, I can't imagine a device that's optimized for bass working real well with vocal input but it's not like you're going to blow anything up trying (probably).

5. Hactar

Hactar

Sep 25, 2011
    Boulder, CO
    Errrm, what are you going to run the Bass Attack into?

Also, how do you plan on connecting the mic to Bass Attack?

6. Connecting string would go

Mic - XLR to 1/4 cable - Bass attack XLR out - PA

is my guess???

IDK, purely experimental here

7. Hactar

Hactar

Sep 25, 2011
    Boulder, CO
    And you are hoping that this signal chain will make the vocalist louder?

8. Lync

Lync

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    Going for more gain....you can try it....I think we have all tried stuff like that now and then. Sometimes it works well, sometimes not so much. But if it will cost no money to do so, why not?

9. Hactar

Hactar

Sep 25, 2011
    Boulder, CO
    On the PA, are you not getting enough gain with the trim completely maxed?
    Is the gain structure at the PA set right?

10. amplifiedhuman

amplifiedhuman

Jul 20, 2012
    I've just bought a VXL and it sounds pretty amazing running anything through it. The "bass" in the product name is a bit misleading, it's a great little preamp for synths, guitars, drum machine, basses, etc...