1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Harvey Milk

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by vegas532, Apr 17, 2010.

1. vegas532

vegas532

Nov 10, 2006
    Pensacola, FL.
    I've been listening to these guys a lot and I thing Steve Tanner has the ultimate doom tone. I've yet to see them live, but I'm hoping someone out there has and can remember what he uses to get that dirty, nasty, wonderful tone of his.

2. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    I'm so sorry. So, so sorry.

3. vegas532

vegas532

Nov 10, 2006
    Pensacola, FL.
    Whatcha sorry for?

4. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    I walked out on them when they came w/ Coalesce last month ;).

Regardless, I didn't look @ any boards/pedals. Sorry brotha man!

5. vegas532

vegas532

Nov 10, 2006
    Pensacola, FL.
    Lamesauce, Ry!

lol

6. rcubed

rcubed

May 8, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I always just assumed he's plugging straight in and cranking the amp.

7. vegas532

vegas532

Nov 10, 2006
    Pensacola, FL.
    I'd assumed that too but I was watching the "Anthem" DVD today and there are certain songs where he would be feeding back and just riding his bass's volume knob at points. It wouldn't always be that driven, though. I just figured there had to be something else to it for those tunes.

8. vegas532

vegas532

Nov 10, 2006
    Pensacola, FL.
    Never mind. I answered my own question when I stumbled upon this shot:

HarveyMilkliveshot.

Surprised the hell outta me, too!

9. rcubed

rcubed

May 8, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    A six pack makes a world of a difference. :D

By the way, is Preston going to be on the new one or are they back to being a trio? Either way I'm looking forward to the new one.

10. vegas532

vegas532

Nov 10, 2006
    Pensacola, FL.
    I'm pretty sure they're back to a trio. I thought Joe Preston was a great addition, but he seems to have a track record of not sticking around too long in any band. :rollno:

11. Tanner just plugs in and plays.......at points he said he's been fond of Peavey Mark IVs I think and old Acoustics for the solid state cranked distortion with big cabs......I'm not certain but I wouldn't be surprised if that isn't backline gear.

if you like his playing in Harvey Milk check out his other stuff here.
    http://www.myspace.com/bassoonband

Joe Preston is out.

12. bovine mind

bovine mind

Jun 17, 2008
    San Francisco
    when I saw him with Harvey Milk on the "Life...best game" tour he was using the Jazz ODB-3 > SVT-CL > 810. Even on most of their recordings I can hear what sounds very much like the ODB-3. I've owned two of them, they have a very distinct sound that's pretty much either love or hate. I think it depends on the person playing them, I've heard 'em sound great.

13. From watching a few live videos I saw an Acoustic 370, and I think a Sunn Coliseum + maybe another Sunn head. Solid state set up for sure.

14. I've seen them twice in the past year and both times Tanner played an early 80s G&L sb-2 -> odb-3 (which wasn't working very well last time I saw them, he complained) -> svt (seems to me it was an older NMV one) -> 8x10. FWIW Creston was using his x-100b(s) and fuzz both times. He distorts them pretty intensely and the fuzz is only for speaker shredding moments.

As an owner of an early 80s G&L sb-2, I think that's a lot of his tone. I'm not come across another jazz bass that sounds quite like those. Once you throw the odb-3 in the chain, the tone is copped pretty much perfectly.

At the very least, you'll need a heavy jazz with high output pickups and the odb-3.

15. omie

omie Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Arizona
    I've seen them locally dozens of times since the mid 90's, and I've never seen him use anything but a SVT CL -> 810. Volume knob seems to be his effect of choice... not sure.

I suspect that those pics/vids are backlines and touring rigs..

That said, they're the godfathers of Georgia Sludge Metal and the best Heavy Band to come out of the state. LOVING RESPEK.