Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Hyper-Flexion, Jan 8, 2006.

1. alright i was changing strings last night on my warwick corvette 5 and i was waxing my neck and all of a sudden my nut falls off!....has anyone else had this happen?...one of the little holder things on the side of the nut that hold it on fell off too.... :crying:......gotta get it fixed.... :crying: :bawl:

2. It's rare but not unusual. You can fix it yourself by simply replacing it with a tiny drop of superglue in the recess. DON'T apply a lot of superglue - just a drop to hold the nut in laterally. The string downforce will keep it seated.

3. ok thanks hambone!

4. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    "DON'T apply a lot of superglue - just a drop to hold the nut in laterally. The string downforce will keep it seated."

Exactly - because it won't go anywhere while employing this method, yet you'll still be able to remove it, should the need ever arise...

- georgestrings

5. LMAO, your nut fell off (might want to see a doctor about that)... Im sorry about your perdicament. lmao, wow, I should not be on here at 1 in the morning....

6. Dkerwood

Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    Midwest
    Dude, this happens to me all the time. The humidity in my basement makes the glue dissolve (among other interesting effects on my instruments).

7. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    i havent had this problem on my bass. i always change one string at a time anyway, to prevent my neck turning into a pretzel.

my classical guitar nut, i believe, isnt glued in at all. if it doesnt move laterally when playing, i dont see the point in glueing it in and giving yourself trouble when you change string gauges.

8. If you were to bring me your neck for say, a fret leveling, I would have to take all of the strings off the bass and the neck removed from the body to do the work. Overall that neck might be off the body for a couple of weeks. Is it your contention that the neck will turn into a "pretzel" because there's no tension on the neck? That's patently untrue. Likewise, it's a fallacy as well to think that your neck will twist in the time it takes to change the strings. If you really consider the point by asking yourself how long it takes a neck to settle in after a relief adjustment (24 hours usually) you should come to the conclusion that the few minutes the strings are off the body, won't have an effect at all. And you would be right. Besides, why would the neck twist anyway? It was straight before the strings were added, so what force is twisting it? If anything, one might surmise that it's changing strings one at a time that will twist a neck because there would be uneven tension across it's width. But that doesn't happen either.

Bottom line is, you can change your strings either way - individually or all at the same time - and it won't have a permanent effect one way or the other on the straightness of the neck.

Warwicks don't have a nut sitting in a slot like a Fender. They use a larger block style nut that butts up against the end of the fretboard. These must have some sort of adhesive attachment to hold them in place because there's no support behind the nut like the Fender style has.

9. Dkerwood

Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    Midwest
    Burn! :p