has anyone heard No doubt????

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by vene-nemesis, Jun 18, 2004.

1. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    Im big fan of ska, punk and jazz music. Lastly ive been playing some of the no doubts songs, but im a fingerplayer who plays a fender jazz that needs some advice getting that fatty/growly tone characteristic of no doubts bassist with my jazz. That guy usualy plays a yamaha bb and a MM-S5

Using a pick its not a solution, thx.
  2. A p pickup, and a good recording engineer, and a big budget would help TONS.

Tony Kinal is a good bass player, IMO. I love his rework of "It's my life"...I love playing that little pre-chorus riff. It's fun.
  3. kazuhank

Nov 12, 2002
    Portland, OR
    Tony's recorded tones are sweet--warm, fat passive p-bass tones from the yamaha and in-your-face active grit from his music man basses.

In one of the several studios where rock steady was recorded Tony got some of his gritty tones from a Bass POD 'mystery setting' that he said he has yet to replicate live (in a BP interview back at the time of 'rock steady's release). I saw him live in Portland on that tour and his rig had two rackmount bass PODs in addition to a 50 key midi controller and analog synth module for the keyboard bass synth parts.

In general, I'd say dig in hard and mess with some effects and you'd get close to some of what Tony does. The slap stuff on the debut disc is another story...
  4. kazuhank

Nov 12, 2002
    Portland, OR
    P.S. this would do better in the 'bassists' or 'recordings' categories. ;)
  5. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

You mean like this?! :D

It's My Life
  6. Yup. Exactamundo. Nice work sir. I just luv the lyrical, rolling quality of that part...
  7. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Yes ditto:, Nice work DW, I had the pleasure of learning that one also, Great tune great riff, Anybody know who did the original version!!? :meh:
  8. Talk Talk. Paul Webb being the bassist.
  9. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Thanks Mon,, I seen the vid on classic VH1 and couldn't remember the band, That bass player is killer also, Actually he wrote it.. :smug:
  10. Ain't no thang bro, that song is awesome. :bassist:
  11. ironmaidenisgod

May 20, 2004
    I saw this Elvis tribute they did once.

Super bassline on Suspicious Minds.