Hat Peg Tuner Installation

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by msmartt, Nov 24, 2021 at 9:53 PM.

1. msmartt

msmartt

Nov 13, 2008
    I have purchased a new set of Rubner Hat Peg tuners for a carved bass I own. The tuners have a slight taper on the pegs. Does any know the proper reamer to fit these Pegs? If anyone has a reamer for sale to fit these Pegs, I am willing to purchase.

Any tips on installation methods is also appreciated.

Michael Smartt

2. 1st Bass

1st Bass

May 26, 2005
    Forest Grove, OR
    Reamers are not too hard to make...look it up on YouTube: you can make exactly the taper you need. (Been there, did that)
    A good steel reamer is hard to make and expensive to buy, but a good hardwood reamer with a steel blade inserted is not bad at all.

RSBBass likes this.
  3. msmartt

msmartt

Nov 13, 2008
    1st Bass. Anyway you could post a link to the video you suggest. Thanks.

4. 1st Bass

1st Bass

May 26, 2005
    Forest Grove, OR
    Look on YouTube... the one I’m thinking of is by a guy in Australia... his channel is called “Pask makes.”

5. 1st Bass

1st Bass

May 26, 2005
    Forest Grove, OR
    Here it is:

I have made only one of these... a small one, for a specialized need. They work rather slowly compared to a steel reamer, but they work just fine.
    I don’t have a lathe: I used my electric drill to spin the wooden body. I felt it was a worthwhile project.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2021 at 8:15 PM
    dhergert, neilG and stefaniw80401 like this.
  6. dhergert

dhergert Gold Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Blue Zone, California
    Thank you for posting this @1st Bass!

I have an end pin reaming project ahead of me when my Alcoa's original wooden end pin collar finally cracks all the way through and absolutely has to be replaced. I have a new replacement waiting in the wings, but the original collar has been glued in with some horrible aircraft adhesive that works too well with aluminum and wood, and it will need to be reamed out before I can replace it...

The adhesive is permanently tacky and will obviously ruin whatever reamer I use, so this is the perfect answer, easy enough to make, and much less expensive than a formal metal reamer.

Thanks again!

7. 1st Bass

1st Bass

May 26, 2005
    Forest Grove, OR
    Rub your reamer all over with a candle before you begin, so the glue will not adhere to either the wood or the steel blade.
    It will make the reamer turn more easily, and allow the blade to cut instead of binding.

dhergert likes this.
  8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 27, 2021