Hate to confess this.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bigdaddybass12, Nov 28, 2021.

1. bigdaddybass12

bigdaddybass12

Feb 26, 2021
    Hate to confess this, but I prefer the sound of my $299 Sterling Ray 4 over my Fender P. The Fender P has had EMG active pickups, just swapped the pickups / wiring with Seymour Duncan Quarter pounders..it sounds best as it ever had since I have owned it. But i still prefer the sound of the Ray4. Maybe I won't get kicked off talkbass for saying that...
    20211128_082508.jpg

gg69, Giffro, RONTERGO and 48 others like this.
  2. Swerve

Swerve

Nov 22, 2002
    Oregon
    Shoot I’ll one up you. I prefer the Ray4 over an actual MM Stingray. I like the slimmer neck and 2-band EQ.

3. ebo

ebo

Jul 15, 2012
    Bay Area, Ca
    I had an old Honda Civic 5 speed that was nothing to look at but super fun to drive. Dollar value isn’t everything. If it feels good, drive it.

shoot-r, rpt50, dasherf17 and 47 others like this.
  4. Old Blastard

Old Blastard

Aug 18, 2013
    Virginia
    Sound and feel Are personal things. I'm pushing 15 basses and all Sound different. I dig the variety while some seek a particular tone. It's all up to you to do you

SJan3, dasherf17, fauxtoe and 13 others like this.
  5. Bass Man Dan

Bass Man Dan Endorsing Artist: Ned Flanders' Bass-a-Reeno Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2017
    Cincinnati
    I agree with the others. Money spent does not always equal playability/tone.

6. nmiller

nmiller

Sep 1, 2010
    Rocky Hill, CT
    Even taking the price out of consideration, those are two very different basses. It's not surprising that some folks will have a strong preference here.

SJan3, naokiman, ratdoc and 12 others like this.
  7. alack

alack

Nov 20, 2000
    Florida
    I like my Squiers more than my Fenders.

gg69, Glenn Mac, Corrington and 12 others like this.
  8. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

:wideyed:

i'm glad you came out to those of us who don't actually care what anyone else plays or prefers. but the other group will punish you --- so be careful! :laugh:

9. Al Rivera

Al Rivera

Mar 20, 2021
    I fall in and out of love with all of my basses,consider yourself lucky that you have a few to choose from!
    My favorite quote is "love many basses but only one woman "

10. Geri O

Geri O Endorsing Artist, Mike Lull Guitars and Basses Gold Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    Of course, you won’t. I’ve never seen a confessional around here for such feelings, not yet, anyway.

Since we’re confessing here, I’ll happily profess that I’ve played Sterlings and while they are worthy basses, I’d never consider replacing a Stingray for a Sterling, but that’s just me. And I don’t necessarily prefer one basses’ tone over another (Js, Ps, Stingrays), but sometimes, one of the 3 will strike me as desirable for a certain situation. That’s what I keep all 3 (and a fretless) around.

Some days, you need a regular socket, some days, you need a deepwall…:D

11. WoodyJ

WoodyJ Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2008
    Kansas City
    My favorite of the nine I have is "The Mongrel", a '65 Precision body & hardware with a Warmoth Jazz neck, all new electronics and a Lollar pickup.

12. AboutSweetSue

AboutSweetSue Guest

Sep 29, 2018
    Yeah, I like one bass over another at any given moment.

13. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    A Precision can be an acquired taste. Took me nearly 30 years.

A 'ray is a different beast. Nothing wrong with preferring that.

naokiman, Crusher47 and lowdownthump like this.
  14. 31HZ

31HZ Glad to be here Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2006
    Central VA, USA
    I have a small collection of somewhat more "expensive" basses that has been carefully curated over time, but the tone that Julia gets out of this $300 SUB Ray is really calling to me.

15. Artman

Artman a.k.a. Eddy Garcia Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2017
    Georgetown, TX
    Those Ray 4s are very, very punchy. It’s a great bass for rock n roll gigs. I had the treble half of a pickup fail on my Precision one night, grabbed the Ray 4 and played it for the rest of the night. It sounds just fine and plays great. Mine does have a SD 70’mm pickup and a MojoTone 70’s preamp in it now though. I kind of liked the stock pickup. I just like experimenting on inexpensive basses.
    One of our guitarists likes the sound of that bass so much, he asks about it if I don’t bring it to a gig.

16. bassist4dalord

bassist4dalord Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2007
    SW Missouri
    I’m loving my SBMM Ray5. Sound and feel are excellent.

17. ElectricBass72

ElectricBass72

Aug 6, 2019
    Virginia
    Blasphemy! Just kidding. I also prefer the tone of my Stingray over a P.

18. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    I really miss my old ‘95 Civic coupe. Didn’t even have VTEC but did QUITE a lot of upgrades to the suspension. AC was crap but was a ton of fun to drive.

19. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Red basses are hotter?

Kidding. Play what you like.

lowdownthump and bigdaddybass12 like this.
  20. bigdaddybass12

bigdaddybass12

Feb 26, 2021
    Man, you will really get thrown off talkbass for saying that!!

Iristone, TonyP-, salmon256 and 5 others like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 28, 2022