1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Have you ever played a song for a girl/guy?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Jack Bunni, Dec 1, 2020.

1. Jack Bunni

Jack Bunni

Dec 1, 2020
    I'm planning on playing Darkness by sweet trip for this girl online and want to record it and upload it on youtube. You know? getting that you know what? Joking aside, have any of you guys/gals ever played a song for someone you like? If so, any advice for a 26 year old trying to pickup a girl? Assuming you guys are a lot older than me; you must have more wisdom in this kind of situation.

Here's the song

Last edited: Dec 1, 2020
    Fialka, Andy V., TonyP- and 4 others like this.
  2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Of course. Not sure I can offer any wisdom, though, I was never very good at it... Just give it a shot and hope for the best (and don't choose a "stalker-ish" song, whatever you do, even if she requests "Every Breath You Take"... ;)

3. As someone who was a young girl long ago, I never liked it much when guys made me guess about their thoughts or feelings. If a guy played a song for me, I would wonder if it had some sort of meaning, or maybe he just thought I would like the song. It never made me feel closer to him, just made me wonder if he liked me but didn't want to tell me that. And that was a thought that made me uncomfortable.

So my advice is this. If you like this girl, just tell her.

DaDo625, BOOG, ramrodTM and 50 others like this.
  4. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Ditto.

5. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Haha, thanks, that explains my (lack of) results, I think! :)

6. jchrisk1

jchrisk1 Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Northern MI
    No, not for a girl I like. However, if in ten years it doesn't work out between you, call me. I've got the perfect song for a girl you no longer like.

pcake, arbitrary, viper4000 and 8 others like this.
  7. It seems romantic, but how she reacts to it will have a lot to do with a number of things. I was always shy and I didn't think I was attractive. I was also playing out locally from the age of 19 and that was intimidating to guys who might have wanted to ask me out. So I never knew where anyone was coming from, really, and hinting around was either confusing or stalkerish, depending on who was doing it and how it was done.

I can look back now and realize that most of those guys probably were trying to get my attention, but back in those days I wouldn't have really assumed anyone was attracted to me.

8. joelns

joelns

Mar 10, 2014
    Just be direct and tell her. Guessing games and trying to be coy just don't work.

pcake, Plectrum72 and bholder like this.
  9. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

18833511-A133-44CA-9447-5B240C9FFC2D.jpeg

Max, Andy V., arbitrary and 16 others like this.
  10. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Funny you mention that. Back in my day, we used to make cassette mixtapes and give them to the girls you liked. Worked for me.

gh0st42, pcake, Jeff Hughes and 13 others like this.
  11. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    That song is...heavily produced pop, with lots of synth, etc. You'll do far better picking up an acoustic and singing something to her live than you will doing a month of recording, mixing, etc.

Listen to Paul McCartney singing "Michelle" - that's the vibe you want.

pcake, bizzybass, tubedude and 2 others like this.
  12. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    design, equill, Spectrum and 3 others like this.
  13. bbh

bbh Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2011
    I wrote and played a tune for a girlfriend in the way back. I’m a very guarded person and found it quite embarrassing. Don’t remember what she thought...

14. dalkowski

dalkowski Supporting Member

May 20, 2009
    Massachusetts USofA
  15. Michedelic

bholder and LBS-bass like this.
  16. TheReceder

TheReceder

Jul 12, 2010
    Mn.
    On the flip side.. I did play a song I wrote for a girl that broke up with me... unfortunately due to TB content guidelines I can't post the lyrics...

Flash forward years later.... now she's my final approval authority on any bass guitar purchases.

VoodooJazz, pcake, eJake and 6 others like this.
  17. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    I have. Poems, songs, you name it. But not at first impression. Good luck.

pcake, eJake, spvmhc and 2 others like this.
  18. Michedelic

Whatever you might use, avoid this one...

Pulverizor likes this.
  19. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

once, & never again
    response: "Can't you learn to play guitar?"

20. telecopy

telecopy

Dec 6, 2009
    USA
    Yes. First song I played for a girl. Don't laugh.. New Colony Six.

heynorm, Resonance129 and lark_z like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 25, 2021