1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Have you ever used LMII's gold MOP??

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by ddtkills, May 22, 2011.

1. ddtkills

ddtkills

Mar 7, 2009
    LMII's gold MOP dots are the only ones that are shown having a gold color. Most gold MOP I've seen on line is brownish or very pale. I was wondering if anyone here has used LMII's gold MOP dots and if they look as good as the picture on the website?

[​IMG]

2. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    You may get a couple pieces with that type of hue, but don't bet on the majority. I have rarely seen MOP with that yellow/ gold of a hue.

3. Jason_A

Jason_A

May 26, 2009
    Marion, IA
    You may want to also consider * www.LuthierSupply.com * I've ordered a few things from him in the past and the quality seems pretty good.

4. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Yeah the LMI gold MOP I have is pretty meh.

5. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    If you have the money (If you use shell enough), a good place is the "duke of pearl", although, the minimum is $300. Grizzly, LMI and stewmac get their shell from here..... I just don't care for what LMI and Stewmac consider, .060", ends up being less. One other guy to consider is Bill Swank (who I get mine through).

http://www.dukeofpearl.com/

http://swanksshellinlay.net/

Gold MOP, goes from brown up to pale yellow in colors.

6. ddtkills

ddtkills

Mar 7, 2009
    Thank you all for your help. Since its not likely that I'll get ones with the coloring I would like with out buying 100 to get 11 or 12 good ones, I'm going to look into gold pearloid dots.