1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Have you noticed high prices used gear on eBay?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by alaskaleftybass, Aug 1, 2012.

1. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    I look a lot on eBay for various musical items, and today I was looking at Peavey bass combos. Has anyone else noticed that eBay is quickly becoming more expensive to buy used equipment than it used to be?

There was a time when you could accidentally fall into a cool great used bass combo for $100 but today I was looking at used Peavey TKO's, 80 watt amps for $275 plus shipping! It seems like the great deals are now few and far between.

The same thing holds true for the guitars and basses. I almost feel like the great deals went elsewhere, and now sheister hawkers and pawnshop dealers are overcharging on eBay, driving up everyone's asking prices.

Any takers?

2. Exploiter8

Exploiter8 Demons run when a good man goes to war

Jan 18, 2010
    Midwest
    Commercial FREE!
    EBay was cool in the beginning. People getting rid of excess things. Then it became a business by people. Reserve not met, minimum bids, plus high priced shipping has really turned me off.

Yes, it's basically the same prices as brick and mortar stores...which many are.

X8

3. boynamedsuse

boynamedsuse Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    My impression is that prices might be a little higher, but this is not much of a change from before. Most eBay sellers have an unrealistic expectation of the value of their equipment, and to get a good deal (or even a fair deal) you have to be patient.

To be fair, I've noticed that the prices seem higher in the TB classifieds recently as well.

4. portlandguy

portlandguy

Feb 15, 2011
    Portland, OR
    I have a 2010 MIA Fender Fretless Jazz for sale for $700 here in the TB classifieds - priced cheap enough?

5. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    LOL You can't ask for a better price than that! :bassist:

6. 4stringsrenough

4stringsrenough

May 8, 2012
    Yes that's a fair price but mo Great deal that he is looking for but very fair!

7. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    Ebay & Pay Pal have raised their fees so much. The seller has to take that into account. Along with increased shipping costs. A seller just passes the costs on to the customer.

Just like taxing a business. It is the end user that pays the fee.

8. Chazinroch

Chazinroch

Feb 2, 2003
    Ontario N.Y.
    I still see some deals. You just need to be lucky and of course in the market. For example a Peavey Cirrus 6 recently went for $760. Cheap I think.

9. gjbassist

gjbassist Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2005
    Kansas City, MO
    This.

Fees have gone up quite a bit. I used to sell a lot more on Ebay but now I try to avoid it if possible. They have so many fees now, plus Paypal fees. Also fuel prices have driven shipping costs up, which get passed on to the buyer in most cases.

10. Freight Train

Freight Train Earth-based Alternative Scientist, Sex Researcher

Feb 25, 2012
    Dallas, Texas
    Yeah, I guess people just go fishing to see if there's a chump in the waters. But doesn't it cost you to do that? When I was trying to sell my Kramer XL-8 eight-string, a guy had a couple on eBay at like $2200 and $2400. Really? I was totally happy to get $800, which seemed right to me. Maybe I'm the chump, but I don't think those are $2000+ basses.

11. staccatogrowl

staccatogrowl Savoring time on a spinning, shimmery, aqua sphere Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2006
    Many sales are to international buyers. The value of the dollar is low. International buyers get our stuff for a relative song. . .

12. bass19021

bass19021

Feb 15, 2011
    Funny, I just started thinking about an old comp pedal I had sitting around, don't know where I got it, never worked, switch missing. Looked it up, wow a $200 "vintage" ibanez bp10! Mine has seen better days though! Lol! Its ok, neat with slap. So yeah Fees-bay glory days are behind us.