Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Have you played a Michael Dolan instrument

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Jan 19, 2005.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

What was your impression of his work?. Thanks

2. Offbase

Offbase

Mar 9, 2000
    I currently own one. I had another built by him 3 years ago. I am currently in the process of obtaining my 3rd Dolan. He is (IMO) the best independent luth in the business. His work (and his business ethics) are second to none. His reputation for repair/restoration/refinish work is also excellent (never had that done myself, but I've heard from many who have). You couldn't choose a better luthier.

3. MAJOR METAL

What stands out about his bass building?, do you exclusively play his basses or do you still play others?.

4. MAJOR METAL

5. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    I used Michael Dolan as my luthier for years when I lived in the Bay Area...excellent work and a great guy to boot!

If you can dream it....he can build it and at a very reasonable rate.

He also does some of the best refinish work in the business at very low rates.

I can't recommend him or his services high enough!

:hyper:

6. MAJOR METAL

Thanks Steve, I think Michael might be making my dream a reality.

7. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    FWIW: He's best to work with when not rushed....give him time and you'll be amazed with the results!

8. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Yep--He did an amazing refinish on my Curbow. And, the set up on it when I got it back was the best set up since it was brand new 10 years ago.

9. Dolan rocks! I would send him anything to work on and trust him to build just about anything.

I think he is very fair in his pricing also.

10. MAJOR METAL

He has made a very divese number of instrument from the ones i have seen on the internet.

11. you say reasonable..... but how much did you guys pay for your instruments? (list all the goodies, of course :D)

12. MAJOR METAL

After my talk with Michael tonight it looks like my dream really can happen, something for me i will never find in a stock instrument.

13. Offbase

Offbase

Mar 9, 2000
    You are going to VERY happy once you get it in your hands! Michael doesn't disappoint!

14. MAJOR METAL

Cool, how long did your bass take to build and is their anything about your expirence with having your bass built by Michael you can share?.

15. MAJOR METAL

I cant wait to get started with this project.

16. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    What's your project? Just curious.

17. MAJOR METAL

18. MAJOR METAL

Anyone else out their?

19. Offbase

Offbase

Mar 9, 2000
    Sorry to take so long getting back to you. Working with Michael is great. While he's usually busy, he's good about returning phone calls. He sent me update pics & kept me up-to-date. Took somewhere between 7-10 weeks, as I recall (he's very fast compared to others). I just can stress enough what an overall great experience it is to deal with Michael.

20. MAJOR METAL

Great, any pics of your Dolan bass you could share with us?.How is his wood selection?.