Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Norwegianwood, Jan 22, 2005.

1. Yeah, I know there have been som posts on this song in the past.
    But still, I feel it's worthy of a new one!

I am working on the solo right now, and I am totally overwhelmed with its greatness. I don't usually learn jaco solos, but this one is an exeption. How on earth did he come up with this? And the Stravinskij quote. Awesome! So what if he recorded it in parts. It sounds amazing - and that's what's important to me. And we all know that he could play it pretty darn well live too...

I think this song itself is a true evidence on Jacos genious. At least as a bassist. I mean - are there many other songs that come close to this - bass wise? I dare not say so. This is only my opinion, though, but I really feel that the quality here is quite obvious. Not just like "he was the inventor of bass", but more like pure quality that isn't heard on many other recordings to this date.

What do you think about it?
  2. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I love Havona. I tried to play it with one of my small jazz combos last year, but my keyboard player couldn't get the intro. It was annoying :p. Still, a great song to play. I love the bassline and Jaco's solo.
  3. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    well, it is a great song and great solo, but he really couldnt impovise that well live. dont get me wrong, i love that song and ive been listening to that album since before i could walk (no joke),but if you listen to the weather report bootlegs out there, he just repeated a bunch of the same licks for years on end. he was doing that all the way back from the start in 76. but, on the albums where he put time into them, the solos really take shape.

do you listen to gary willis. personally, i think he took the jaco thing to the next level. he's got the improve, plus that nasty paul jackson style funk that jaco didnt have.
  4. Yeah, I know he couldn't improvise that well live...But that doesn't make his studio work any less good. This solo is more like a composition to me, and it's a fantastic one too. I didn't say he could improvise that well live - but that he could play it. Because I read from some folks here say that he recorded it phrase by phrase...

And I've heard some Gary Willis. Unfortunetaly(or however you spell that word) not enough yet, but hey I'm still young: )
    I'm still yet to hear something that strikes me like this solo, and that I can listen to over and over again in the same way.