Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Haynes Bass King ll amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by elmohoof, Sep 27, 2003.

1. elmohoof

elmohoof

Sep 24, 2003
    Alliance, OH
    I used to have a Haynes Bass King II amp back in the 60's It was a combo amp with 2-12 and 2 channels It had a big handle at the top and a red square push button on-off switch which lit up when you pushed it on. it sounded great I traded it for a Coral Stentor 100 w/3-15( anyone remember those) Does anyone remember these amps? The Haynes was made by Unicord and the Coral by Danelectro

2. TommyRay777

TommyRay777

Aug 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    I still have one stashed under a ton of boxes in my library. Good sounding amp with rigid wood handle and square light on the front. Mine developed a hum that techs in the 1970s couldn't (or didn't care) to find. I am about to dust it off for my 13 year old son who is an aspiring bass player.

3. elmohoof

elmohoof

Sep 24, 2003
    Alliance, OH
    Wow, You still have one? Does the square red on-off switch still work? I really liked that amp, but I needed something bigger at the time. I should have kept it. That amp was advertised as being able to go down to "2 cycles". Which meant it could handle the low frequencies well. Let me know if you want to sell it jedighoffer@lycos.com

4. tdigiano

tdigiano

Mar 25, 2009
    To elmohoof,

I had a Haynes Bass King back in 1967 it was a long time ago. Really didn't care for the solid state construction. I really wanted a Fender Bassman but the store I bought it from, Jack's Drum Shop in Boston, MA did not sell Fender amps. I used it for a while then got a Kustom 200 with the silver tuck n roll covering and 2 15 inch speakers. My final amp and my best was the Sunn 200S. My bass idol was Felix Pappalardi of Mountain and he used the Sunn 200S. Best amp I ever had. A tube amp and 60 watts. When combined with a Gibson EB-3, it really kicked ass. I do have pictures of the Haynes if you want to see it. Just email me. tom.digianvittorio@verizon.net I should add I had it into the shop a few times too. Not very reliable. My Kustom 200 was great but still solid state. Once I saw Mountain using Sunn amps, I had to have one and I did.

5. robgrow

robgrow Supporting Member

May 1, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I also owned a Haynes Bass King amp back in '67. It was troublesome, so I sold it and bought an almost-new, black-face Fender Bassman amp with matching cab. Wish I still had them.

6. b_carville

b_carville

Jun 26, 2008
    I remember both of these amps well!

Ahh....The 60's!

A couple of local music stores carried the Haynes Bass King.I remember the advertising brochure.There was a picture of that red light button along with
    "Stand Back! The Big Booming Bass may knock you over!" or something like that.It didn't knock me over or out.I always thought they sounded farty.I think they were 100 watts RMS into two twelves.I used to borrow one off a guy because my 1st amp was real bad.Every now & then one turns up my way usually in working order so they I guess they were built decently.Believe it or not that was considered outrageous power back then.

The Coral Stentor.
    That was an intresting amp! I think(my memory can be faulty)it made it's debut in 1967.Danelectro has just got bought up by MCA then.This was Danelectro's entry into the world of big "Rock" solid state amps.The head was a 100 watts RMS or 50 watts RMS depending on if you used 2 or 1 speaker cabinets.The speaker cabinet was a column that used three fifteens per cabinet.The speakers were a Jensen Special Design that was unlike any I've ever seen.They had about an inch & a half of tan sticky ribbed acoustic suspension around the edge.You could make those suckers flap and not hurt them.The head did sound brittle & metallic though.The speaker cabinets sounded great with a good tube head. The speaker cabinets cable was attached permently to the cabinet & that sucked.
    Six Fifteens! 100 Huge Watts!
    Use only one cabinet to blow half a mind! That was the actual advertising slogan!
    Jim Pons,the bass player for the Turtles actually used this rig.

Man,I think I'm having flashbacks!

7. bbsvt

bbsvt

Jan 26, 2009
    :bassist: oh do i remember those , back in the day i had 2 coral rigs, i had the 3-15 cab w/ stentor head w/silvery cloth grill, then i ordered 2ea. 6-12 cabs . one 6-12 was killer 2 was overkill, .the 6-12 cabs had black grillcloth with chrome grill outlines..oh what memories...

8. LesS

LesS

Mar 3, 2006
    no longer a member
    I don't remember them from the olden days, but I just bought a Haynes Bass King a few weeks ago. (a Bass King - not a Bass King II)
    It's a 2x12 combo with two Utahs.
    I have yet to gig with it or even test it much.
    So far it sounds great for a 47 lb combo.
    Looks like it was built by a cabinet maker - the quality is excellent. I'll post more pictures and a better description later.

Does anyone have any info on it?
    Is it really 100 watts?

A little info on the big red switch - if yours does not work, slide it out from the chassis about 7 to 8 mm. If that helps, you can put a spacer under the switch. The mounting is very tight and can cause the switch to not work, or not work very well. To do this you have to remove the upper rear cover, the ten screws for the preamp back cover. and the screws inside the preamp -the two side screws and the four lower front screws.

-Les S
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/34116766@N07/3680816307/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34116766@N07/3681631160/

9. fixxa

fixxa

Jul 9, 2010
    Unbelievable! I also had a Haynes Bass King II. Bought it new in 1965. It was a choice between that or a piggyback Fender Bassman! (Can you imagine how many times I've kicked myself in the ass for THAT decision??!!!)
    The truly amazing part is that I also got a 3-16" Coral amp immediately afterwards! I'd Put the Haynes on top of the Coral bottom and patch the inputs together. The Haynes had a switch in the bottom of the back that did some boost thing, but at the volumes we played at in 1969, it made a nifty fuzz bass effect! I was playing a POS Klira bass at the time. If it still lives, the Coral has a Camel cigarette tinfoil-wrapped fuse used afr the fuse blew during gig in Portland, Maine!

10. Yep! My first bass rig in 1969 was a Coral with the 6x12 cab, and it was a killer rig IMO.