1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

HAZ-Labs preamp with broken EMG's

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Energija, Jul 31, 2012.

1. So, I bought this knackered Spector NS-2a, seller told upper part of electronics didnt work... Turned out the D-G side of the EMG P splitcoil didnt work. These pickups were grounded to the core anyway so I thought I have a go at replacing them. I opened the control cavity and found a haz labs pre :p
    The jazz PU works on all strings but sounds faded AND a little bit distorted when plucked hard. Now I'm wondering if it's the pickup or perhaps the pre that isnt doing its thing correctly. My original plan was to buy a set of EMG PJX's and they come with their own pre ofcourse, but after finding out that there was a haz labs inside I want the EMG's on that. However (sigh...) I would need to cut of part of their solderless system and if the original pre turns out bad I cant use the EMG pre anymore... What would be my best bet on this?

2. LimaGuy

LimaGuy The Godfather Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2011
    NY
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    Can you post a photo of the pre-amp? It is possible that you may have a Korean Haz Labs copy in the bass which came stock on NS-2As. They sometimes don't match perfectly when using active EMGs, thus causing possible distortion.
    If I see a photo I can tell you for sure which it is.

If the controls are Vol-Blend-Bass Treble) it would be a USA 9V Haz Labs Circuit
    If the controls are Vol-Vol-Bass Treble) it would be a Korean made "Haz Copy Circuit

Back to your question about the EMG solderless quick connects. Your best bet is to try to get an extra set of wires. Not sure if this place would ship to your location.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190645299602?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

You can also use standard Pin PC connection wires in place of the EMG quick connect wires.

3. Thnx,

I'm pretty sure it's a "real" haz lab and it has a 25 KOhm volume pot to boot, so it should be perfectly equipped for active EMG's AFAIK. Will post a pic anyway, just because I can :D
    Great idea of using PC connectors, I havent had them in my hands yet but I thought they did look familiair ghehe.
    (pictures taken before complete overhaul of the bass...)

Attached Files:

4. Tracebassplayer

Tracebassplayer Sometimes Darkness Can Show You The Light.

Dec 15, 2000
    Portland, OR
    In case anyone stumbles across this thread...

The Korean Haz Copy doesn't supply enough power to active p/ups to operate correctly.
    NS-2A Spector branded p/ups were passive.

You can add a second 9 volt battery to power the p/ups.

If you go to the Spector Owners Club here on TalkBass, We can help you with ANY question yo may have about Spector Basses.

5. JustForSport

JustForSport

Nov 17, 2011
    EMG pickups are powered from the battery (directly), then the signal is sent to the pre.
    No 2nd battery req'd.

6. Tracebassplayer

Dec 15, 2000
    Portland, OR
    Not on a Spector preamp.

7. JustForSport

JustForSport

Nov 17, 2011
    Then, I guess Spectors are not really made for EMG's?
    They should've taken a hint from EMG's own wiring.

8. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    It is correct you don't need a separate battery as the Korean pre (by design) doesn't power the EMG's at all.

You simply splice the red (active EMG) leads to the +/red of the battery terminal, just like you would with a Tone Pump or similar pre.
    This is what will power active EMG's.
    It works fine but the tone controls get a little weird at extreme settings due to high pot values if it's the Korean copy.

I've done this successfully on two of the three NS2A's I've owned over the years.

Also to the OP:
    We need a picture of the other side of that pre.

9. Tracebassplayer

Dec 15, 2000
    Portland, OR
    I remember someone in the SPECTOR OC saying to add the battery to alleviate shorter battery life because if the extra draw from the active pups.
    And yes on the pot values. IIRC, those were changed out as well with what was it 25k or 250kohm pots? Whichever is not on the board stock.

Phat, I'm gonna do this same mod shortly. What pups did you use and/or like better?

10. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    I changed one with PJ's and this one
    SpectorNS2AFretless.
    with JJ's (hence, the pickguard).

Didn't really have a preference and never really had an issue with the pot values as I ran everything flat 99.9% of the time.

As far as battery life, sure, if you wire the second battery up parallel (not series, creating 18 volts), you should effectively double the expected life in the 9 volt circuit.
    But the single battery life, now powering the active EMG's and pre together, should really be on par with an authentic US Haz Labs pre and active EMG's as that's what the same single battery is doing in that circuit.

11. Chris14

Chris14

May 13, 2013
    Would anyone know where I could get my hands on a copy of the Korean copy's wiring/circuit plan. I have a Forum III I'de like to get back into working order.

12. I know this is a 2 year old post but I've been looking for schematics or detailed photos of the Haz pre for years.
    The trace side of the HAZ pre PCB that OP Energija posted is perfect!! If it's not the real deal then someone went through
    a lot of trouble to copy it.
    I'm hoping that a matching component-side photo exists somewhere on these boards with as much detail as the trace side.
    I can then evaluate the circuit on the Haz and compare to the Kramer copy Pre in my NS-2A that I already
    created a schematic from. This question (Haz vs Kramer) comes up over and over again and no one has been able to come up
    with a definitive answer.

So Energija, if you see this message can you let me know if you ever took a photo of the top side of your Haz pre?

@ Chris14 - I have what ever info you need for the Kramer copy version. Let me know what you need.

Many Thanks.