1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Head-Cabinet Combo Issue

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Epac, Mar 3, 2010.

1. Epac

Epac

Jan 6, 2010
    Bronx, NY
    Hey Bass Friends,

Not going to bore anyone with a long story, wanted to get some feedback on a little problem I'm having: I got a GK Backline 600 head (http://www.guitarcenter.com/Gallien...-Bass-Head-103056032-i1145819.gc#read-reviews) from years back, its been working sort of well, was working great with an old Ampeg 410 I got used at a GC. Moved to a new city, got a new Ampeg Cab, an Ampeg STV 410HE, same head.
    Was playing with a huge band and was just getting sheisty lows. I was told it had to do with the head cause it was pushing 300W out to a cab that was made to deal with 400W to 700W RMS.
    Got a SVT3-Pro, had a sell it, now back to GK 600. My question now is:

When I play the GK 600 through the 410, i'm getting a good response in the mid-highs area, in the mid-range area of the bass. When I mess around on the E-string, the lows are flubbing like a mf (although the GK600 Head isn't peaking at all). Could it be the Ampeg 410 not being able to deal with the lows? Would it make sense to add a 1-15' just so I can feel the lows on stage?

What's the cheapest way to get more lows? I could get a better head, but then I may have the same problem, will want to upgrade to a 610 or an 810, more money more problems....or I can get a 1'15 for the time being, just to feel the lows on stage. I want to gig heavily in the next few months, but seems the general consensus in this forum is that getting a massive rig won't necessarily improve your FOH sound...that an amp serves mostly as a personal monitor. At the same time I assume you want to get a strong signal out to the soundguy, maybe saving toward a good head is more important than getting a 1-15...

Thoughts?

E

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    A 15 won't give you more lows. Your 410 is an 8 ohm cab. I'd suggest you sell it, and get an Ampeg SVT410hlf, which is a ported 4 ohm cab. 1)-you'll get full power from your amp, which you aren't, currently, and 2) the 410hlf has tons of low-end, some would call it boomy. I think that'll solve your problem.

3. Epac

Epac

Jan 6, 2010
    Bronx, NY
    I looked at the HLF and had to do a double-take, that's pretty much what i had in the first place! Dammit! I had to sell it cause i was moving and didn't want to pay for transport.

What's strange is that the HE is on the surface less expensive; i got it during some president's day sale, thought i was getting a phat deal....

I'm going back to GC on Friday, see what I can do...

I'll keep dreaming about getting a more substantial head...:smug:

Thanks Rickenboogie!

E

4. georgestrings

georgestrings Inactive

Nov 5, 2005

I agree - to my ears, the SVT-410HE is way too weak in the low end - the SVT-410HLF has more than enough low end for any purpose, IMO...

- georgestrings

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 24, 2020