headed to headless mods

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by heath_the_great, Oct 3, 2004.

1. alrighty, just curious to wether it would be fesable/possible to modify an OLP musicman or fender jazz 4 string with a steinberger style bridge and neck...or has anyone modified any other bass like that headed ~~~> headless?
  2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I think headless works better with set or thru necks.
    I had an old 70s Aria bass modified, mostly because tuners were dead.
    The headstock mod was nothing but it also required making room behind the bridge for the tuners. This was achieved by digging a croissant shape at the end of the body.
    I used Kahler bridge and nut.
  3. you mean like this sorta (attachment)

im actually in preference in bolt on's, ive played an ibanez steinberger copy which was bold on and a cort? (i think) steinberger copy which was bolt on as well and they sounded great...

but if i was to put this type o bridge on an olp stingray or a jazz would i have to cut a cresent shape out of the body?

id love to use one of these
  4. FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    Allparts sells some sort of headless system too. No idea how it works or what.
  5. [​IMG]

or would it be possibly to literally chop the headstock off and put this on?
  6. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I don't know about the OLP, but Moses told me back in 2001 that they can make their MM-4 neck in a 32" scale headless model to fit a Warmoth pocket (before I realized I couldn't get 32" double ball strings - duh). Drop them a line and see what they can do for you!
  7. have you seen on the musicyo website you can get an attachment so you can use single ball strings on a steinberger system?
  8. i just checked the moses site as you suggested and they offer all their bass necks with different headstock styles which includes headless, for a little more, and also for "a little more" they include the abm bridge/tuners....might get a jazz and do it....otherwise it'll cost twice as much as the OLP :D
  9. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Yeah - I detest those things - they always seem to slip for me, and defeat the entire purpose of doubleballs IMO...
  10. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I found this picture on a package of La Balle tapewound strings. His name is Keith Rosier. It looks like a P-bass with a Steinberger bridge. It still has the headstock, although I image you could cut it off if you had a way to attach strings, like the musicyo thing.
  11. thats a damn interesting pbass mod.....im actually thinking a stingray headless would be great :D ......is there another neck producer that makes wooden necks not graphite like moses?
  12. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
  13. do status sell necks seperately? plus arent they graphite?
  14. [​IMG]
    thats the whole tuner/bridge unit for status :eek: at $35 us each....i think that might be the go for the bridge
    then theres the status string retainer, $35us as well...and this is how its mounted on the mark king sig..
    could do the same thing on the OLP, just downsize the headstock a little
  15. That's a "Bendwell", allows you to bend strings by pushing the string down behind the nut.
  16. A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    I think Heath was linking the pic to show how the string retainer is mounted, with the idea that if you shortened a 'flat' Fender style headstock, you could mount it to make the instrument headless. I've thought about doing the same thing, but decided to go with a full custom.

For reference, my Status S2000 uses a brass retainer similar to the David King basses.
  17. yup :smug:

but bendwell, which ive only ever seen on the mark king sig is an extremely cool idea :D
  18. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Repairs and modifications? Setup.
  19. i just went straight to the people who would know :D
  20. Hi Showdown/Heath, My bass pictured on the Labella string packs is a custom John Carruthers Guitars (see Web) bass that was made to be like a Kubicki Ex-Factor, but with a Fender body style w/EMG P pickups. You can hear this bass all over my "Studio Bass Masters" book. This bass is my compromise to five strings -which I don't play. It has an old Wilkinson bass bridge with the tuners on each string thanks to Trev Wilkinson. It's basically Wilkinson's five string bass conversion kit for 4 stringbasses, but with all strings having the B-string tuner. The string retainer on the headstock is a custom brass unit with a set-screw to tighten down for each string. It requires an extra long custom Roto string for the E string. My site keithrosier.com