Headless Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by heath_the_great, Apr 26, 2004.

1. hey hey hey y'all,

Just curious to other good headless bass makers there are, i know kubicki (well duh) and leduc, and i seem to of heard bad things about the steinbergers (from musicyo.com) and ive found a hohner the jack 2 at my local pawn broker......

I would love a headless stingray, with kubicki bridge.....bbuuuuuttt..i just dont see that happening anytime soon :p damn my infernal dreams

Cheers heath
  2. rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    <a href="http://www.le-fay.com/Lefay.com/ENG/index1_eng.html"> Le fay</a> Pangton
  3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
  4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Great minds think alike :p
  5. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    David King Makes Amazing Headless Basses!!!!!!!!!!!!
  6. hmmmmmmm, my wallet seemed to run away when it saw the prices of those...lol
  7. rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    Wow - we posted at the same time!! Amazing!! :D
  8. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    looks like a headless alembic :D
  9. i know, i love it

"Nobby Meidel. Nobby cut the wings off of an "Aria-something" and told Hans Peter that headless basses represented the future of bass playing." and i quote and agree from the warwick website

Why dont warwick make headless basses anymore :crying:
    BTW: thats the mark king model :D
  10. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I had a headless Hohner B2A with a detunable bridge. i really loved the feel of that bass. The EMG select pickups were decent but i wanted more. With some EMG DC's or something im sure it would rock, but i ended up selling it to pay for a 5 string. (sold it to a Tber)
  11. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    I guess they didnt sell well... And probably Hans-Peter Wilfer didnt like how they looked... Anyway, they ocassionally pop up on e-bay Germany for decent prices

Yeah, I know, I was going to mention Status if you were not faster than me...
  12. Perky

Apr 26, 2004
    I have seen the "new" wood-bergers and they're not as good playing or responding as the graphite ones (I have an '83 that I use regularly!) -- the wood ones have some dead spots, just like real wooden basses, but without the graphite sustain and stay-in-tune-ability that makes the "classic" 'Bergers rock!!
  13. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    I had a real cheeseburger. It was an Xp-2 that I bought in 1986. My main noisemaker for 7 years. When I went to sell it in 1993, no-one wanted it because the neck was warped. I was especially PO'ed because part of the marketing of cheeseburgers as you will remember was that they were indestructable and did not need truss rods because the necks never warped. By '93 Gibson had bought them out and they were certainly not standing behind their product...

Even with a warped neck that thing sounded and played great, I have to say...

I also owned a fretless Hohner B2AFL. It was the most precise copy of the steinberger XL-2. I liked it better than the real deal. The electronics sounded better and were more robust, and the thing was as light as a feather with a huge sound. You can still get them, and cheap (fretted or fretless). I would strongly advocate, especially above a Cheeseberger Spirit. My $.02.
  14. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Yes. Hohners blow Spirits away.
  15. i had a little play of the hohner down at the pawnbroker the other day (its been there for about 4 years, same as this dia viola bass) and i admit it was alright feeling, considering the only amp they had was this no-name 10w guitar amp..pmpl..it has the normal body which i like, but it would be cool just to have an XP-2.....i think it would match the kubicki, style and era...lol
  16. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Besides Status and King, Wittman and BassLab comes to mind.
    Actually, there are many makers of good headless basses, because it is hard to make less good headless basses :D
  17. Washburn made a headless bass for a while. It was a collaboration with Status. I have played a couple of them at local pawn shops, and have seen them pop up on eBay every now and then. They weren't bad.
  18. klem

Mar 14, 2004
    In the future. May be there´s coming an LTD. Nobby ;)