1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Headless four string ”Brucefied”

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by MPU, Feb 24, 2018.

Tags:
  1. MovinTarget

MovinTarget Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    Bruce is watching this thread I am sure he will hook you up...

2. wagdog

wagdog

Mar 20, 2000
    Der Waffle Haus
    I think we need a "Bruce Tips" wiki.

MovinTarget likes this.
  3. MPU

MPU

Sep 21, 2004
    Valkeala Finland
    It was basshappy’s Les Paul bass thread where I found most of the info I had before contacting Bruce.

monsterfiddle likes this.
  4. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Commercial User

Feb 4, 2011
    Fillmore, CA
    Professional Luthier
    That's a good point, really. I haven't used the Wiki part of TalkBass, but they have it all set up. On my own computer, I've been saving and organizing many of the dissertations that I've written here on TB of technical stuff. The same questions keep coming up over and over again, and I often paste and re-use paragraphs that I've written years ago. I probably should start taking the most popular subjects and making them into Wiki pages.

5. MovinTarget

Jan 30, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    I'm a TB noob, but I would wholeheartedly support your efforts to get this organized... dunno if there is anything I can do to help, PM me if there is...

washjayb likes this.
  6. Bruce Johnson

Feb 4, 2011
    Fillmore, CA
    Professional Luthier
    Yep, I'm here and watching. I read and keep up with almost all of the threads here on the Luthier's Corner. That's what I do for fun in most of the breaks in my shop work. A few minutes to sweep off the chips and sit down. At the moment, I took a break from routing some walnut Scroll Bass bodies, to eat a delicious bologna sandwich and type this. Well, the breaks over, back to it.....

Edit: Here's what I was doing, mere minutes ago. Routing all the internal chambering on the inside of the top for one of my walnut AMB-2's. I just finished 4 sets of tops and backs. You can see all the chambering I put in to lighten and soften the bodies. The chambers are weirdly shaped because of the odd shape of the Scroll Bass body, and those huge F-holes with big undercuts. Yes, my Scroll Basses are 100% Brucified! I practice what I preach.

IMG_5682B.jpg

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  7. MPU

MPU

Sep 21, 2004
    Valkeala Finland
    BBE1B24A-AC9D-4510-A369-1214E1475712.jpeg

Neck has four coats of Tru oil.

D166CE8E-61E4-4B3E-BBBF-361096B5982E.jpeg

Body has one coat of Tru oil over an Liberon alcohol based dye.

5B1C3A30-E566-4D99-8E95-766C4C68193F.jpeg

8. MovinTarget

Jan 30, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    Ah, so you can use an alcohol dye and them tru oil over it?

9. MPU

MPU

Sep 21, 2004
    Valkeala Finland
    At least Liberon and Tru oil work fine together. Dye did not dissolve even a bit.

10. MovinTarget

Jan 30, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    Great to know! I have a huge bottle of Tru Oil and no more necks to finish lol I will save it for the next project and do a natural wood with dye finish.

11. T_Bone_TL

T_Bone_TL

Jan 10, 2013
    SW VT
    Either don't save it too long, or go find some source of inert gas (they make spray-cans for the purpose, but if you have a mig or tig welder, or a friend with one...) and fill the bottle with that. Many people with a stored huge bottle of Tru-Oil have reported trouble with the "using it later" aspect due to having it cure in the bottle.

Bloxygen seems to the be big brand-name - some folks report a simple "dust-off" can to be cheaper and just as effective.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  12. I've used TruOil over a couple of different brands of leather dye and over TransTint honey amber with no issues. Let the dye dry out first, which, if you're using denatured alcohol for the thinner, should be pretty quick.

13. I've had one bottle of Tru Oil partially cure in the bottle, it got thick and difficult to apply well.

14. b3e

b3e

Sep 5, 2017
    Warsaw, Poland
    Having a big bottle of Tru oil, you just have to build more necks to keep it being useful!;)

MovinTarget likes this.
  15. Did you store it with the bottle upside down? That's one trick to getting more shelf life out of Tru Oil.

16. I did not, I read about that after the problem appeared.

17. For anyone else looking for info about the Brucified truss rods, here are the relevant posts:
    My Les Paul Bass Build - I need a Gibby too...

18. Bruce Johnson

Feb 4, 2011
    Fillmore, CA
    Professional Luthier
    Thanks, monsterfiddle! I hadn't gotten around to answering you, but you found it. I've talked about my truss rods on many different threads over the years, but that one is the most complete with pictures.

19. I just got around to reading all of it now. Fascinating stuff!

Love that you also explain why you do each little thing, makes for a very interesting read. I almost always learn something new, often about stuff I hadn't even considered reading your posts. Thanks for educating us :)

20. MPU

MPU

Sep 21, 2004
    Valkeala Finland
    760B3FDE-F71A-4959-974D-CC4EAB1FA6DE.jpeg 67E1F562-4692-4DDD-939E-AF9AB10E4FB3.jpeg

Sunburst take two. This time I used airbrush instead of rubbing. Now it needs x coats of Tru oil.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 18, 2021