Headphone amp needed - recommendations?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tiozo, Feb 6, 2004.

1. tiozo

Feb 2, 2004
    Pasadena MD

Ok so here's the problem.....

I live on a boat, and work at a rather busy marina just off the Chesapeake Bay. As many of you may realize, a boat is not exactly the most insulated of dwellings, in relation to both temperatures and sound. Not to mention the fact that loading and unloading a rig can be a fairly tricky operation especially if the tide is high. I am looking to purchase a QUALITY headphone amp that I might practice through whilst on the boat. A small cabinet is not completly out of the realm of possiblilities.

My needs are simple, straight amplification, no fx. A built in chorus, flange or phase, could and probably would be used, but is not necessary. I just want to practice.

EDITED-- I left this part out, sorry. I am playing an ESP C305, and need something that responds well to the low B.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanx in advance for your input!

2. Ravenlabs is nice,I've heard
  3. kmacleish

Nov 19, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    My own solution (FWIW, YMMV, IMO and all other relevant disclaimers) to this kind of situation was to buy the teensy Behringer mixer (MX602A), readily available for under $50.

This gives me a headphone amp that can mix in a couple of stereo sources, which is ideal since I routinely practice with a bunch of different CDs, as well as an almost-pocket-sized mixer which has come in handy in some other situations where a very basic mixer could fill a need. Will also handle two mics, which makes possible a very compact and cheap live recording setup.

4. pedroferreira

Feb 10, 2003
  5. I use a Zoom BFX-708 and also used to have a Line 6 Bass Pod. Both worked great.
  6. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    I use an original Bass Rockman (not the Bass Ace). I bought one when they were just out and simply don't know how I would get along without it. I really like the tone and it has some great effects to play with (the chorus is to die for). I just picked up another one for $50 from a local guy. Check E-Bay. The Tascam CD-BT1 is a nice new tool as it has the CD player built in. It doesn't sound all that great, but has good, useable rehearsal features. For an amp that has good features, check out the Fender Rumble series. They have RCA inputs for a CD player or other source right on the front panel. Other than that, there are small mixers, sound cards for your computer, and various other devices you can use. Or, buy an ABG. Good luck!

7. I use a Cafe Walter HA-1. Very simple to use and it sounds great. It doesn't color your tone so you get to really hear how your bass sounds.