1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Headphone Amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by gregmon79, Mar 31, 2015.

1. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    So I've had a Pocket Rock-it headphone amp for over 10 years. It's been great. I like the fact that it's nice and clear and can be quite loud through good headphones. The two sim settings are great but I always play in the "tite" setting. I like the aux out to play along with my iPhone or the like. It's simple and effective.

Well, it seems it's broke. It turns on, I can hear static when I touch the plug when it's on, but it's not picking up my bass. It does pick up the signal in the aux out though. It's not my bass, it's not the battery in the amp. Something is wrong with it. So I want to either:

Get the same one because they are still made or

Get a differnt one. But which one?

I've tried the EHX little black one, I don't like it all. It breaks up far too quickly so I can't crank if I want to. So I was thinking, are there any of you out there that have had experience with the pocket rock-it AND the Vox bass headphone amp?? How do they compare in handling a solid/loud output? The Vox does look appealing with all its amp sim options but I'm worried it won't be loud enough.

If I don't get the feedback im looking for in the next day or two in this thread, I'll most likely just get another pocket rock-it. It's treated me really good over the years and I like how it sounds and how loud it can get.

So what do you guys think?? Thanks for the input!

2. jastacey

jastacey

Feb 8, 2009
    Houston,Tx
    Budget?

3. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Id like to stay below $100. Preferably around $50.

4. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
  5. tbirdsp

tbirdsp

Sep 18, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    Sorry - yes I have one and it works well. The description on the MF site is misleading - not really any amp sims, just 3 different gain settings. The built rhythm patterns are nice.

6. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    That's really cool, I was reading more about those rhythm patterns. I think I'm gonna try this one.

How is the output on it? I'm worried that it won't go that loud. I mean, I don't need it to pop my eardrums or anything like that. But comparing the pocket rock-it to the EHX one, the EHX was horrible. It started breaking up in a really bad way if I got even halfway up the volume knob. The pocket rockit could be totally dimed and it was clean, solid and plenty loud. I'm worried the Vox one will be like the EHX one.

Thanks so much for the feedback. It's appreciated.

7. tbirdsp

tbirdsp

Sep 18, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    Honestly I haven't messed with it in a while. Will play with it this evening and give more info. I remember it being plenty loud though.

gregmon79 likes this.
  8. I bought one of the Joyo clones of the Vox and it was a pretty good deal. 14 dollars shipped from amazon. Granted I'm playing it with an active bass and also a boost pedal it sounds pretty good for the money.

9. physics

physics

Aug 7, 2009
    Berkeley, CA
    I have the Amplug2 for bass and I'd say that it's a good value. It's so small and light that I can keep it in one of the pockets of my gig bag, and since I always have my headphones in my laptop bag I can play my bass anywhere without bothering anybody. It seems fairly well made and doesn't seem as if it will disintegrate if I were to grasp it a little too tightly. There are three gain levels with a volume for the bass, a tone control, a button for selecting one of three different drum rhythm patterns and a volume for the rhythm section. All of the controls are easy to figure out and use, you don't need to read a 200 page manual to figure it out. It gives a good clean tone of my bass with no audible distortion or sound artifacts. I use the amp on the highest gain setting and the output to my 60 ohm headphones gives an adequate volume level, not ear splitting but enough to hear. My only real complaint is that in a normal listening environment it generates excessive high frequency hiss. I've checked this out and it's evident that it's not coming upstream of the amp on my signal path or from the outside, it is being generated within the amp itself. If I turn down the tone control to 3.5 the hiss will disappear and the tone from my bass will only be minimally affected. I use it right now as an alternative to my big rig at home, but I'm planning on getting a small, lightweight, low-power amp that is easily transportable for when I'm not at home and will keep the Amplug in my bag for emergencies. I hope this helps.

10. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Cool thanks. I saw that one as well. Thought I'd try it, I mean it's only $15. You can barely get a decent clip on tuner for that. That's what I was concerned about though was any of them breaking up if they're at the highest level they can go. Sounds like this ones worth a shot.

Awesome, thanks for the detailed feedback. For some reason this one makes me nervous. But after hearing what youve said, it may be a safe bet. I just want it for late nights (I live in an apt). I usually play at a decent level with no complaints. But once it gets to 9pm or past I make sure I'm not a bother. And the headphone amp is what that's for.

I should also add that I have a rather large pedal board that I use with it most times. So that may make a difference.

11. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
  12. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
  13. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    From one breeder to another...find yourself a 3Leaf Enabler. I know it's well above the budget but it's worth it. Preamp, DI, killer headphone amp, great controls. It's a well thought out tool...

14. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Yeah I know. I've thought about grabbing one before but it's WAY out of my price range at the moment. I know it's a great tool to have. Swiss Army knife for real. Very clean too from what I understand. Maybe someday.

15. TimboZ

TimboZ

Jan 4, 2009
    South of Buffalo
    Check out the ADA GCS-3. It is more than you want to spend.
    ADA GCS-3 Guitar Cabinet Simulator & DI Box

You can use it as just a headphone amp or as a DI with cab sim. (sounds great with a bass DI to the board).

gregmon79 likes this.
  16. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Oh yeah, that's nice. May need to add that to the GAS list too for a later date. Thanks!

17. joe vegas

joe vegas Supporting Member

pick up a Zoom B1On. $49.00.
    100 excellent effects.
    lottsa drums.
    30-sec looper.
    and... headphone amp.

18. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I have the B1Xon actually haha. I've used the headphone amp in it too. Li like it. But again, it's digital thing again. Plus I always had problems with the levels being even. And it's noisy. I guess I haven't spent a lot of time with it. Plus, I like the small units like the pocket rockit so I can plug it right into my board and go.

I actually ordered a Joyo super lead. See how that is. $14 shipped. Figured, why not?! We shall see.

joe vegas likes this.