Headphone practice Amp

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by BassMann2112, May 12, 2004.

1. BassMann2112

Jun 21, 2002
    I'm looking for a decent headphone practice Amp, so I can effectivly practice at work. In your Opinion what would you suggest for a decent set up. I was looking at the Bass Ace or the X-100 by Tom Scholz (headpphone unit). I have seen a few older ones for sale when the manufacturing department was called SRD - Scholz Research and Development. That one has more fetures in the design and looks like it may be better.
    Who else has what I should be looking for
    Are there any other manufactures out there making what I'm looking for? (Headphone practice amplification)

Any help here would be great.
  2. LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
    active pickups???/
  3. jivetkr

May 15, 2002
    I have the korg pandora. Small, tons of features, some drum patterns, several metronomes, cool built in tones & a ton of customizeable presets.

I used to have the raven labs unit but I really didnt like it. I thought the tone was a little thin. But the thing that really made me nuts about it was that the AC adapter would short out everytime if you plug it into the wall first & then into the unit. Raven labs actually sent me a replacement adapter that shorted out again. I ended up selling it.

Either way get some good headphones. It makes a world of difference. I use the sony DJ headphones. They are not cheap, but they sound awesome.
  4. vbass

May 7, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    I've had the Bass Ace for awhile now. It works pretty good for what it is. I would say the key is definitely getting nice headphones. The ones they include are supposed to be 'custom made' to work with the unit but the Sony ones that I had sitting around made a big difference in the sound. It's a good deal for the price I would say, though I haven't tried any others.
  5. Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Yeah. If your bass has active electronics you can just find any old headphones and plug em in. It won't be loud, mind you, but you'll get some sound out of it.