headphones for practice, etc

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Chef, Dec 11, 2004.

1. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    My swr amps have a headphone out jack. I've been thinking it might be nice to use that once and a while to maintain the balance between family relations and practice time...

Anyone tried these Behringer cans?
    Seems like good specs for $35...not like I'm gonna be mixing with them...thoughts from users, or alternatives that are "effectively priced"...?

2. Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    The Koss Portapro 2's are like $30 and are widely praised for good bass response and suitability for bass practice. I use them with a Cafe Walter and it sounds great. You can get them at Radio Shack, Circuit City, etc.

Very comfortable too, and fold up very small for tucking in your bag. Comfort is the most important part for long practice sessions.

3. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    I have a set of AKG's they are model # k 220 m, I thing they where like $20 and they seam to work well. They are just $20 head phones so don't expect them to sound like $200 phones
  4. pistoleroace

Sep 13, 2002
    Bump for more info.

I am looking into getting a pair of quality headphones and am willing to spend $100-$150 on them. What I am looking for are ones that will pretty much block out other unwanted, lower volume noises (people talking, ect.), good frequency response, and ones that will handle a low B without farting out at decent volume levels.

*Edit* My main purpose for these is to plug them into my Eden WT 800 for practice purpose.

5. I use Sony MDR-7506 headphones. I believe they will satisfy your requirements and can be had for $99.00.
  6. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    +1 on the Sonys.

I also use Direct Sound Extreme Isolations phones, which have Sony drivers but offer 20db rejection of outside sound. These are great when tracking bass and drums. For general use I prefer the 7506s.
  7. pistoleroace

Sep 13, 2002
    Thanks guys, I've heard a few people that recommend the Sony 7506s.

Lyle, I just checked out the Direct Sound Extreme Isolation Web site and they seem impressive, they have a model now called the EX-29 w/29 decible reduction from outside sound and they are priced at $139, in your opinion, are the ones you have worth $40 more than the Sonys?

Thanks very much.

Here's their Web site: http://www.extremeheadphones.com/
  8. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Yes, but a friend of mine is a distributor and he sells them for a LOT less than $140. PM or email me for contact info. His website's in "beta" and I don't think he wants a bunch of traffic yet. But he's an authorized dealer- this is on the up and up.
  9. pistoleroace

Sep 13, 2002
    Thanks Lyle, pm your way.
  10. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Wanna talk about NOT-comfortable 'phones?!

Our band uses 'Nick Firth' headphones (I hear Mr. Firth, who designed them, is a drummer). They're huge. Our drummer uses them for monitors when we play out, too. They're made for ultimate isolation. I'm tellin' ya: these monsters WAY-isolate. I mean if you kick the plug out, you are deaf! ..But OY, do they pinch your ears! And, they're all mids - no sparkly highs; no rich lows - AND they're inefficient - you switch from a pair of these over to the AKGs we use for monitoring the recorder without remembering to turn the headphone amp down, and it'll leave your ears ringing. $60 at G.C.

Boy, do they isolate, though.

One thing they're definately good for is when you're recording a quiet, close-miked vocal with lots of gain - NO bleed!

11. mheintz

Nov 18, 2004
    Grados SR 80's or 125's.
  12. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish
    I'm using Fostex T50RP's out of a swr headphone jack... great phones.. I think I paid 65 bucks for... super deal! great phones!
  13. unrealrocks

Jan 8, 2004
    Any headphones with a good frequency response is good although I tend to use the output of my preamp into a little minimixer so I can add backing tracks, metronomes and the likes to it when playing :)
  14. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    you can get some Shure in-ears for under a $100

you can get some futuresonics or westones for just over $100

15. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    I use a pair of Sennheiser HD 280 Pros which I believe will meet your requirements. They handle a low B very well.
  16. +1 for the Sennheiser HD 280 Pros. Great isolation, sound great and they're pretty comfy. Just don't wear them around your neck, they'll cut off the circulation to your brain!
  17. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA