1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Headphones

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by jgsbass, Oct 20, 2003.

1. jkramer5

jkramer5

Jul 14, 2008
    Fairfield, CA
    +1 to the Beyerdynamic DT-770

2. Bardley

Bardley

Nov 16, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    I really like my Sennheiser HD280s.

Very nice for the $.

3. They're usually a little more expensive I think, seem to be priced around £100 or a bit, but definately worth every penny. Beyerdynamic DT100s, best headphones I've ever used for studio work. There are some on the bay of e at the moment for about $69, which looks pretty good. if you can afford them, they're definately worth it.

4. I've been using the 240DF's for a few years and they are great for critical listening. The caveat is that you need to have a compatible amp to drive them. The high impedance can present a mismatch for many amps, and that ruins the freq response. Also, they need a lot more power than lo-z phones. The new 240 MKII are 55 ohm and play a lot nicer with most consumer gear (maybe this was confused with a 240S designation?). The HD580's have the same issue of needing the right amp, at about 250-300 ohm nominal impedance. I've used both sets and I find the 580's to be a little more flattering in the mids, and that isn't what I wanted. I wouldn't say one is "far superior" to the other, but like most audio it is a matter of taste and source material. Both are flat enough for critical work.

5. DT100s are a REALLY good buy, especially as they're pretty much industry standard, or at least in every studio i've ever been in, and can be got well cheap. Personally i prefer the senn hd280s, cos they're flatter (subjective), block out loads more ambient noise and are really comfy over long periods. although i do sell lots of them at work, so i may be biased, through familiarity of course.

grado phones are sick, but i'd not use them for monitoring cos of the coloured response and open backs. i'm all over them for those 4 am moments when only dark side of the moon at extreme volumes will do though...

6. panos79

panos79

Jul 28, 2010
    Hello ,
    I m looking for a good pair of headphones for practice and music listening as well . My budget is about 100-120 euros .
    In that price range i ve found the akg 240 mkII , grado sr 60i ( or 80i if i buy them from e bay ) .
    Witch one of the 3 do you think is better ?
    Do you have any other ( better ) suggestions ?

Thank you ,

Panos .

P.S. I prefer open type because i have a 1.5 month old baby and i want to be able to kind of hear him .

7. silentmike

silentmike

May 20, 2011
    Bristol, UK
    I'm always kinda dumbfounded when people suggest DT100s for any purpose. I have never used a pair that offered a good fit, isolation or good sound quality. What is it that makes these industry standard headphones? Is it just that spare parts are easy to find?

The DT770s and DT990s though, they're real nice headphones IMO. While they're not the cheapest, they're definitely not the most expensive but they do sound excellent.

8. Tupac

Tupac

May 5, 2011
    Have anyone tried the Sennheiser HD448s? I'm pretty much sold on them and will be getting them soon.

9. mitchgilbert

mitchgilbert Guest

Oct 5, 2011
    Central Coast, NSW.
    The Sennheiser HD-280 are a top set of headphones.
    The only thing I'd say is that they are very bassy, but it's clear, pure bass.
    Nice shimmering top end and they reject a lot of outside noise.

I think at retail price they're a bit expensive though.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 10, 2021