Headphones

Discussion in 'Accessories [BG]' started by LiveToWin, Oct 2, 2018.

1. LiveToWin

LiveToWin

Oct 18, 2017
    Hello everyone !
    I'm searching for high quality headphones for bass. I have some Panasonic headphones (cheapest I guess, because I cannot find them on the website) and when I plug them into my amp (GK 115MB) the sound is to bassy
    My gear is Rick 4003 (stock), OKKO Motorbass and my amp, that's all ... I cut all the bass and I reduced low mids and bumped high mids on amp and on pedal and it's still to bassy even on low gain settings.
    When I play without headphones, I can hear clear, strong Lemmy guitar style sound but with this headphones ... It's disaster !
    Can you reccomend me headphones for my application ?
    I heard good opinions about beyerdynamics DT250, what do you think ?

And I habe another question ... Why volume is so low when I use headphones ? I have to bump up the volume in amp almost all the way up !

2. Turxile

Turxile

May 1, 2011
    I prefer studio monitor headphones. They don't colour the sound. I've had various brands, currently happy enough with yamaha.

Badwater likes this.
  3. craigie

craigie

Nov 11, 2015
    calgary
    Sony MDR 7506 or V6 I believe. These are their famous studio headphones. Very comfortable over ear not on ear. Amazing quality for the money. I borrowed a set from a friend while he was out of country and I was storing his stuff. For five years! Still going strong. They were already 5 years old and will last another ten I’m sure. So that’s less than $10/year.

ak56, saabfender and DiabolusInMusic like this.
  4. JakobT

JakobT

Jan 9, 2014
    Oslo, Norway
    I use Phil Jones headphones, which I’m very happy with:
    PJB Accessory

I’ve also had good success with Beyerdynamic DT-770 studio headphones.

5. I have a set of Beyer DT 150 phones at work.
    They are intended for critical audio monitoring.
    I find them to be more bass heavy than anything else I’ve used.

We also have the 250s, with the mic, for our sports announcers.
    They seem to be a little better balanced... not as bass heavy.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
    LiveToWin likes this.
  6. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

Another vote for the Sony's over here. I went through a pile of headphones before settling on these.

LiveToWin and ak56 like this.
  7. Jim C

Jim C I believe in the trilogy; Fender, Stingray, + G&L Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    To the OP:
    It's worth a search as this question is asked often and some are tired of responding to the same question
    So for the 80th time, Sony MDR V6 (my favorite) and 7506 as second favorite.
    I assume they still make both.

8. ProfFrink

ProfFrink

Jan 16, 2015
    I've been using Senn HD380 pro and couldn't be happier (and I'm a bit of a stickler with sound).

Whatever you take - I'm pretty sure you want them to be "closed-back" in order to avoid getting outside noise (such as your strings) which will just mess up your sound. (Usually "studio applications" require closed-back headphones for this reason, as opposed to headphones you use to just listen to pre-recorded stuff).

About the low volume with the headphones - IDK, it's very strange. Low-power headphone amps (like the ones on some portable devices) may have trouble pushing low-sensitivity headphones (most higher-end cans will have lower sensitivity), but a full-blown amp should have plenty. I would risk a very wild guess and say that there must be a trim-pot for this somewhere inside the amp - but really - just guessing here.

LiveToWin likes this.
  9. Alien8

Alien8

Jan 29, 2014
    KRK KNS 8400 are awesome cans. The bass isn't overhyped and the soundstage is nice too. They can sometimes be a little forward on the high mids, depending on the mix, but I find they are just a bit critical in this area, so it's a good balance. They are really easy to drive as well, which means you shouldn't need to crank the volume.

LiveToWin likes this.
  10. IamGroot

IamGroot

Jan 18, 2018
    I bought Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pros a month ago. The noise isolation is highy overated based on using them in piano lab. The Sony MDRs give comparable performance for less money.

I use shooter muffs for some hobby work. If anyone knows headphones with that type isolation, pls let me know.

11. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    Sony MDR 7506 is all I've used for the past 25 years. I have several pairs of them in my studio. IF you get this model also order a set of lambskin ear pad replacements for them because the OEM vinyl will wear out within a year. The lambskins will last just about forever.

ProfFrink and LiveToWin like this.
  12. LiveToWin

LiveToWin

Oct 18, 2017
    Hello !
    I bought AKG K240 II and I like them very much ! Nice and clear.
    I compared them to MD7506, DT770 and some Sennheiser (I forgot the product number). They were the cheapest and most pleasant to my ear.

Thank you very much for responses and recomendations. Have a nice day/night to all of you ;)

13. JKos

JKos Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Torrance, CA
    There is a company that takes Sony 7506 drivers and puts them in high noise isolation cans. I'll try to find you the name. Intended for drummers, I believe.

Here you go... UltraPhones high isolation studio headphones - GK Music. They actually start with Peltor hearing protection muffs and put the 7506 drivers in them.

- John

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
    LiveToWin and IamGroot like this.
  14. IamGroot

IamGroot

Jan 18, 2018
    Thanks a 1000%.!! Thats what I
    Thanks!!!!! That would have been a way better choice for me.

Sony 7506 + high isolation = my perfect headphones.

LiveToWin likes this.
  15. Jim C

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    $229 and they can't engineer a removable / replaceable cord?
    No thanks

16. JKos

JKos Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Torrance, CA
  17. Jim C

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Hmmm
    I can't find the spec that says the cord is removable

18. IamGroot

IamGroot

Jan 18, 2018
    Why is a removable cord important?

To OP, headphones come in different impedances, to match input, whether it is cell phone or studio monitor. Select the right imp. for your req.

19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 4, 2021