1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Headstock Tuner

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by CTC564, Jul 17, 2012.

1. CTC564

CTC564 Gold Supporting Member

Mar 7, 2011
    Toms River,NJ
    Hello TB...

I was wondering if any of you are using a headstock tuner and if so, which one?

I recently picked up the Planet Waves model but wasn't too thrilled with it...

Hoping that this could be a useful tool in helping me with my intonation while playing fretless

2. I use the blue Snark tuner. It's the only headstock tuner I've used which picks up a bass string's vibration, and instantly displays it. Not terribly expensive, I definitely recommend it. ;)

3. Am using a Korg pitchclip tuner. Think it was about 20bucks but it does the business.

4. droo46

droo46

Jun 16, 2011
    A lot of people seem to like the Snark tuners.

5. CTC564

Mar 7, 2011
    Toms River,NJ
    Thanks...I'd heard some good things about the Snark but I'm really happy to hear that it locks onto a bass note as quick as it does :)

6. snark - the black one

7. KwinS

KwinS Supporting Member

Oct 30, 2006
    Dallas/Ft. Worth
    Are you using the Planet Waves NS? I really like mine a lot.

8. CTC564

Mar 7, 2011
    Toms River,NJ
    Yeah...I wasn't that thrilled with it...battery died in under a week and it seemed kinda slow to me

9. caeman

caeman The Root Master

Sep 17, 2008
    Ohio
    To the OP...

Yes. Snark. The black one.

I no longer use a pedal tuner.

10. I use a GoGo Caliber clip on tuner that works great, bought it for my 12 string but it's just as great on bass.

11. Just one thing I'd like to add. If you get the blue Snark (don't know about the red or black ones) there's a tiny hole to one side of the on/off button. That's a microphone for tuning instruments like brass and woodwinds. If you're tuning in a noisy environment it'll pick up the ambient background noise and make it difficult to tune. Just cut a tiny square of tape and cover the hole, and you won't have any problems after that. ;)

12. scotch

scotch It's not rocket science! Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    Please see Profile for Endorsement disclosures
    I use the Planet Waves NS Mini all the time!

I am a D'Addario/Planet Waves endorser, but I would still use this thing even if I wasn't! It's a great product that can tune pretty much anything (including my index finger!?)

Video demo here:

https://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=2349627871813

If it vibrates, you can probably tune it with this thing!

13. pmchenry

pmchenry

May 6, 2012
    SE PA
    Black snark works fine for me. Response time is good and it has a very visible display. As someone mentioned, you might want to tape the small mic port if your guitar player has a tendency to mess about while you're tuning. Personally I just use it as an opportunity to yell at him.

14. pmchenry

pmchenry

May 6, 2012
    SE PA
    OP already said he doesn't like the Planet Waves tuner...

15. 1954bassman

1954bassman

Jun 7, 2004
    Hickory, NC
    I am using the RED Snark. Best luck with a headstock I have had and without naming names, I have tried a lot of headstock tuners. My main band is acoustic Gospel, and the Red (and blue) snarks are all over the place - we have like 96 strings in our band.

My only complaint is they are somewhat flimsy.

16. scotch

scotch It's not rocket science! Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    Please see Profile for Endorsement disclosures
    I own a Snark, too. It also works great! It's just so big! Looks like an added appendage to me. But, it does work, no doubt about it!

The NS mini really latches on quick! Just make sure its clipped tight & not resting against a tuner machine & bingo! I've used it on just about every kind of guitar and bass with no problems. On some instruments, it helps to experiment with where on the headstock to place it, but it still locks on as quickly or more quickly than my Snark & it is barely noticeable from the front & side of the instrument!

17. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    Ive got the Peterson stroboclip tuner and its very good but feels too flimsy to take to gigs.
    I tend to just use this at home for sets up.
    Ive had been using a black Snark for the past year or so at gigs, but recently switched to the PW NS Mini Headstock tuner. Ive used both at the same time (just testing) and couldn't really see any difference, other than the PW can live on my bass all the time.
    Both were accurate (not as much as the Peterson) and both seemed to latch on to the note at the same time.

If the battery fails after just a week i'd replace it. Its obviously not right and not a "feature" of the tuner.

18. Tom Spaulding

Tom Spaulding

Nov 11, 2011
    Nashville
    D'Addario Artist Relations|Nashville
    OP already said he doesn't like the Planet Waves tuner...
    Yes, but both of his issues (as described) are probably due to a weak battery in the first place. The NS is typically quicker to grab a note and hold it longer than other headstock tuners, has a long battery life, and his experience is not at all common. I have PM'd him and will send him a new one, if he wants one.

19. G.Bisson

G.Bisson

Feb 26, 2009
    Virginia
    have a Korg Pitchclip and don't like it. Can't position the screen in a way for me to read it while wearing the bass. It also tracks slowly and reads many notes as sharp when my pedal tuners are telling me the string is in tune.

20. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I use the Planet Waves NS Mini Headstock Tuner. Got it last year some time. Battery still good on mine. It uses a lithium battery and I'm quite sure would last a good year!