1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Health Related Issues To Playing

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Fergie Fulton, Oct 25, 2009.

1. I found out it was a trapped nerve near my elbow. No pain around the neck area. Just fell asleep on the arm. Normally it sorts itself out after a few minutes, but the fact it was prolonged was worrying. Seems to be getting better now which is good

Fergie Fulton likes this.
  2. Fergie Fulton

Fergie Fulton Gold Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2008
    London-NewYork-Paris-Munich-Braintree
    Retrovibe Artist rota
    No probs, it will take any things from a few minutes to a few days depending on the impingement.
    In your elbow you will feel it in your little finger/ring finger via the Ulnar nerve, so here is so cool info,

I will in the next up-date of the Health links provide more info on, Nerve Flossing and Nerve Glides...Google the links if you have an Interest, like i said your issue is Ulnar Nerve based.

Glad you are finding improvement.
    F.

Fishyfishfish and boynamedsuse like this.
  3. 8

Thank you! Much appreciated. I will keep this information in mind. Seems like some great stuff to know

4. Fergie Fulton

Fergie Fulton Gold Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2008
    London-NewYork-Paris-Munich-Braintree
    Retrovibe Artist rota
    No probs, it pays to know the basics of your techniques anatomy, in this way you will learn to understand how to get the best from your body, how to "fuel" it, and of course when you feel pain... is it related to your playing or related to your life.
    Good luck with it all, please feel free to up-date this thread with how you got on, if the stretches worked etc...as their will be others in the future suffering the same issues. Knowing that others have suffered the same and got over it is a big boost to suffers.
    F.

Morris2103 likes this.
  5. NortyFiner

NortyFiner Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Portsmouth VA USA
    So, this happened.

[​IMG]

Boxer's fracture and wrist sprain. One of those mechanical things that happen when you work in a shipyard. Couldn't fret my bass right for weeks, and now I don't have the strength I used to in that hand, particularly in my ring and little fingers. String tension never bothered me before, but it does now. I'm using a gripper and doing stretching exercises trying to rebuild strength and flexibility, but if anyone has any good ideas on rehabbing from such an injury, I'm all ears.

6. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Huntington WV
    ouch! wishing you a speedy recovery.

7. XeNoChRiSt

XeNoChRiSt

Apr 5, 2016
    I've been having terrible wrist pain and the feeling of my hand locking up almost like I'm having a cramp accompanied by the feeling of pins and needles in the middle of my hand and my fingers start bending themselves inward toward my palm every time I have band practice about twenty minutes in, I've been doing my stretches routinely before each song and it still won't help I have a appointment to get it checked out as I have a bunch of gigs coming up and I can't be having that in the middle of the set, I seriously hope it isn't carpal tunnel.

Worshipbass12 likes this.
  8. H8_TRAiN_64

H8_TRAiN_64

Nov 24, 2016
    El Paso, TX
    I'm having a very similar issue. I will practice for long periods of time, and after a while I start to cramp in my wrists and fingers. I do stretch. One thing I know I must do is drink more water.
    As far as CT syndrome is concerned, I think one of the signs is that your thumbs will feel as though they are freezing cold. I'm not a doctor; however I am extremely good looking, and charismatic. In any case, good luck.

9. Hywel Cross

Hywel Cross

Oct 3, 2017
    I do Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, which plays hell with my fingers, not to mention the fact that I am being investigated for Rheumatoid Arthritis. This means that my fingers hurt constantly.